What terms and conditions apply?
When you become a member of KidStart, you will be bound by the Member's Rules which set out the terms on which you can participate in KidStart and collect savings for your children or others for whom you are saving. These also incorporate our Privacy and security policy which sets out the way we manage information and security of your personal data.
As part of the registration process for KidStart, you will be asked to confirm that you accept the Member's Rules.
When you use the website, you are covered by our Terms of access and Privacy and security policy whether you are a member or non-member.
1.1 These Rules (including our policy on Privacy and Security) govern your membership of the KidStart Rewards Programme ("KidStart") and set out the terms of the contract between KidStart Limited ("us/we") and each member ("you"). Membership of KidStart allows you to collect KidStart Savings that can in turn be converted to cash and deposited into a Child Trust Fund or other eligible savings account nominated by you for your designated children ("Nominated Account").
1.2 If you apply to register with KidStart, you accept these Rules. These are the only terms that apply and they supersede any other terms which may otherwise apply. We may refuse an application for any good reason and we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your membership immediately and without notice if we consider that you have contravened these Rules.
1.3 Membership of KidStart is offered at our sole discretion and we reserve the right to change these Rules at any time by posting changes online under this section, giving you 10 business days notice of any material changes. Your continued use of KidStart after any changes are posted means you agree to be legally bound by these terms as so amended.
2. Membership Eligibility & Registration
- 2.1 To register with KidStart, you must be over 18 and a UK resident (incl BFPO). Only one membership per person is allowed.
- 2.2 You agree to use the KidStart website ("Website") and enjoy KidStart membership in accordance with these Rules and only for the purposes for which they are designed and intended. You agree in particular that you will not use KidStart for an unlawful purpose.
- 2.3 Your membership will come into effect when you click on the link in the email from us confirming that we have received your completed registration. You represent to us that all information that you provide to us is true and accurate and you must notify us immediately of any change to your membership profile such as changes of address or preferred email address.
- 2.4 Once you are a member, we will set up for you an online membership account in which KidStart Savings may be allocated and redeemed ("Kiddybank"). You can access your Kiddybank, update your profile and monitor the balance of your KidStart Savings online using the username and password you chose at registration. Your Kiddybank is personal to you and is not transferable.
3. Card Numbers
- 3.1 Registering the numbers of your payment cards ("Card Numbers") allows you to collect KidStart Savings at participating high street retailers. So that we may identify and calculate your entitlement to KidStart Savings, you authorise us to disclose your Card Numbers to our retail partners and their suppliers whether or not you use the Card Numbers with those retailers. (NB: we will not, nor do we have the information necessary to, charge transactions to your Card Numbers.)
- 3.2 You represent to us that with respect to each Card Number that you have provided that you are the card-holder (or that you are properly authorised by the card-holder) and that you are fully entitled to register that Card Number with KidStart and to receive information about the transactions made with that card.
- 3.3 You may only register a maximum of 10 Card Numbers per Kiddybank. These may include cards belonging to other members of your household/family provided that they have consented to the registration of their Card Number(s). If we are not satisfied that Card Numbers are included with the holder's consent we reserve the right to ask for any further validation that we consider appropriate and, at any time, to suspend or de-register any Card Numbers.
- 3.4 Each Card Number may only be registered for one Kiddybank at any one time and we will decline attempted registrations of the same Card Number.
4. Earning KidStart Savings
- 4.1 Through our Website and emails, we tell members of opportunities to collect KidStart Savings, the ways in which KidStart Savings can be earned (including for example using a registered payment card or clicking on the links via our Website/emails), the rate at which KidStart Savings can be earned and any other terms and conditions in place from time to time ("Qualifying Purchases").
- 4.2 Once you are a member, you will be able to collect KidStart Savings on Qualifying Purchases from retailers or other providers of goods and services nominated by us ("KidStart Retailer"), in each case at the rate and subject to the terms listed on the Website.
- 4.3 Transactions with KidStart Retailers that are not Qualifying Purchases will not entitle you to earn KidStart Savings.
- 4.4 All goods and services sold by KidStart Retailers are sold under their normal terms and conditions and we accept no liability for any of their acts or omissions in providing the goods and services detailed on the Website or other advertising, including without limitation exclusions or amendment of their offers.
- 4.5 All KidStart Savings will be credited to your Kiddybank as soon as reasonably practicable following payment in full to us by the KidStart Retailer. In the event of non-payment for any reason by the KidStart Retailer, we may at our discretion delay the credit of KidStart Savings to your Kiddybank pending such receipt or payment.
- 4.6 We will always endeavour to give notice through our Website or other medium of any offers or Qualifying Purchases that are closing or changing, but we do reserve the right to make changes without notice or liability.
- 4.7 KidStart Savings do not expire. However, accounts on which there has been no activity for 12 months may be deemed dormant and we may request that you reactivate the account via email before recommencing use. We reserve the right to close accounts that are dormant in which case the conditions in section 8 below shall apply.
- 4.8 We reserve the right to adjust your Kiddybank and any KidStart Savings contained in that Kiddybank without limit (either upwards or downwards) when in our sole discretion we consider such adjustment to be appropriate including in circumstances where we consider there to have been any mathematical or other payment errors; where goods are returned; where service contracts or similar are cancelled; where refunds are issued by a KidStart Retailer; if voucher codes (other than those suppplied by KidStart) are used; where members have clicked through from other sites in addition to KidStart or where it appears to us that there has been any activity that we consider amounts to a breach of these Rules or that we consider may be fraudulent or is otherwise unacceptable to us.
5. Allocating KidStart Savings to a Child's Kiddybank
- 5.1 In order to convert KidStart Savings into cash savings for a child, you must first allocate your Kiddybank to the Kiddybank(s) of a child or children for whom you would like to save. You can allocate your Kiddybank either to a child that you have registered under your Kiddybank ("Primary Child"), or to a child registered under another member's Kiddybank ("Secondary Child"). If you wish to allocate your Kiddybank to a Secondary Child, you need permission from the member under whose Kiddybank that child is registered.
- 5.2 We will use the allocation percentages that you set to calculate the split of your KidStart Savings to the child Kiddybanks. The allocation will occur at the same time we credit the KidStart Savings to your Kiddybank, (or in the case where you have not yet registered an allocation, at the time you first do so). You can change this allocation at any time, but once allocated the KidStart Savings cannot be re-credited to your own Kiddybank.
- 5.3 You will be able to monitor the balances and edit the profile for your Primary Child Kiddybank(s), but will not be able to do so for your Secondary Child Kiddybank(s).
6. Conversion of KidStart Savings
- 6.1 By linking a Nominated Account to your Primary Child Kiddybank, you instruct us to convert your KidStart Savings into an equivalent cash credit and to pay it into the Nominated Account. ("Conversion").
- 6.2 On a monthly basis, or a time period we deem appropriate, we will check the balance of the KidStart Savings in your Primary Child(s) KiddyBank(s) and if it exceeds the minimum transfer limit we set for the particular type of Nominated Account, we will transfer such cash credit into your Nominated Account as soon as reasonably possible.
- 6.3 The Minimum Transfer Limit is the higher of £10 or the minimum deposit amount established by the provider of your Nominated Account.
- 6.4 For the avoidance of doubt:
- 6.4.1 the equivalent cash credit resulting from the Conversion of your Child's KidStart Savings can only be transferred to your Nominated Account
- 6.4.2 the balance of KidStart Savings in one or more Kiddybanks cannot be aggregated or pooled together except in line with this agreement;
- 6.4.3 we hereby exclude liability for any consequence suffered or incurred by reason of us acting in accordance with your instructions;
- 6.4.4 we hereby exclude liability if your Nominated Account will not accept any credit that we make in accordance with your instructions or if we are not able to fulfil your instructions for any reason beyond our reasonable control.
- 6.4.5 there are no fees or charges for Conversion.
- 6.5 Following Conversion, once the equivalent cash credit is paid to your Nominated Account, neither the KidStart Savings nor the equivalent cash credit can be reclaimed or repaid.
- 6.6 KidStart Savings have no monetary value other that as may be ascribed to them by us by way of equivalent cash credit following due Conversion and cannot be used for any purpose other than those set out in this clause 6.
- 6.7 Other than payment to your Nominated Account following Conversion, KidStart Savings may only be refunded for an amount equal to their equivalent cash credit at our sole discretion and in circumstances where we consider that it would be fair and reasonable for us to do so. We reserve the right to make an appropriate administrative charge in such circumstances and to impose any condition that we consider appropriate.
- 6.8 We will endeavour to rectify any payment or administrative errors but we will not be liable if the error is due to any incorrect information supplied by you.
7. Ownership of KidStart Savings
- 7.1 The ownership of all KidStart Savings whether or not credited to a Member's Kiddybank including any right to convert such KidStart Savings into an equivalent cash credit, remains with us at all times until, following Conversion, the equivalent cash credit is transferred to your Nominated Account in accordance with clause 6.
- 7.2 Risk (including, for example theft and fraudulent misuse) associated with KidStart Savings passes to you once they are recorded on your Kiddybank. We exclude liability for any unauthorised dealings with or fraudulent redemptions of your balance of KidStart Savings or any dealings of any nature with your Nominated Account
- 7.3 Except as outlined in this agreement, neither KidStart Savings nor any equivalent cash credit are transferable in any way.
8. Terminating membership
- 8.1 You may terminate your membership at any time by emailing or writing to us stating that you no longer wish to be a member. As outlined in clause 6.7, we will at our discretion refund any outstanding KidStart Savings for its cash equivalent value less an administrative charge (to cover costs of making the payment) which is detailed in the FAQ section of the Website. We can only pay refunds electronically via BACs and you will need to provide us with bank account details to do so.
- 8.2 If we plan to terminate your membership because of lack of activity as outlined in clause 4.7, we will endeavour to contact you via your registered email address to get details of a bank account so that we can refund you any outstanding KidStart Savings for its cash equivalent value less the administrative charge referred to in 8.1. If we do not receive a reply within the notice period in the email, we reserve the right to close the account and remove the KidStart Savings
- 8.3 We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your membership and/or cancel KidStart Savings at any time without notice if you have in our opinion breached these Rules.
9. Our Liability
- 9.1 Subject to clause 9.2 below, our entire liability to you for any act or omission by us (or our agents, sub-contractors, employees or KidStart Retailers) in relation to the provision of the KidStart service shall be limited to the equivalent cash credit that represents the value of your KidStart Savings at the time of the act or omission giving rise to such loss or damage.
- 9.2 Our liability if any for causing death or injury resulting from our own negligence or that of our employees or for any loss or damage suffered by you as a result of any breach by us of any implied statutory obligation liability for breach of which cannot be limited shall not be limited.
- 9.3 No representations are made regarding any personal tax liability arising as a result of your participation in KidStart. You agree to indemnify us in respect of any such tax liability that we nevertheless may incur
- 9.4 Subject as above, the KidStart Programme is offered to you on as "as is" basis and we hereby exclude liability to the maximum extent permitted by law
- 10.1 If you have a complaint about KidStart please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the Managing Director, KidStart Limited, Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London SW6 3JD. The matter will be investigated in line with our procedures and our findings reported to you. If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, subject to certain time limits.
- 10.2 All questions regarding the KidStart Programme (including without limitation questions regarding participation and eligibility) must be submitted in writing to us.
- 10.3 We are covered by the Financial Cond Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of transaction and the circumstances of the claim. Further information about compensation arrangements is available from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- 11.1 We do not provide investment advice of any form. It is your responsibility to select and monitor your Nominated Account and to satisfy yourself that your Nominated Account is appropriate for your requirements and that you have the necessary knowledge and experience to understand the risks involved. Neither KidStart, nor the transfer of the equivalent cash credit following Conversion of your KidStart Savings into a Nominated Account constitute an offer by us to sell or a solicitation by us of an offer to invest in your Nominated Account.
- 11.2 On occasion, we may provide links on our Website to providers of regulated products. If you have any doubts or concerns about the suitability of the investments provided by these providers or the suitability of topping up your Nominated Account, we strongly recommend you speak to your savings account provider and seek advice from a qualified financial advisor. You have a right to cancel most investment contracts provided that you notify your provider within 30 days. Providers will give you notice of this right in writing.
- 11.3 Some Child Trust Funds and other children's savings accounts are stock market based. As such they are medium to long term investments and the capital value of the investment and any income from it may fall as well as rise and your child may get back less than has been invested. Depending on the specific terms related to your Nominated Account, any money put into the account will remain there for a period of time. Tax benefits on savings accounts are subject to change which means that the favourable tax treatment of Child Trust Funds may not be maintained in the future.
- 11.4 We are independent and carry advertisements from a restricted number of regulated providers. We are happy to provide a written list of providers if requested. The products we advertise include Child Trust Funds, child savings and investment accounts. We may earn commissions through members subsequently purchasing products from one of these providers; any commissions to be paid will be disclosed by providers in their product information where required. KidStart does not earn any commission on transferring money into linked savings accounts.
- 12.1 KidStart is a trading name of KidStart Limited of Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London SW6 3JD which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA reference number 473606) to make arrangements for retail customers to invest in regulated investment products and to introduce and arrange investments. You can check this on the FCA's Register by visiting the FCA's website www.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234. In all our dealings you will be treated as a Retail Client. Not all of the services provided by KidStart are regulated by the FCA.
- 12.2 Any provision of these Rules declared void or unenforceable by any competent authority or court shall, to the extent of such invalidity or unenforceability, be deemed severable and shall not affect the other provisions remaining which shall continue unaffected.
- 12.3 These Rules shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.