There are lots of sparkly, magical events happening around the UK at the moment. Why not get into the holiday spirit and walk off some of those yummy mince pies with one of these fabulous family walks?
1. Kew Gardens near London is hosting an illuminated trail from 25th November until 2nd January. Take a stroll through Kew’s historic gardens with shimmering lakes and beautifully lit tree specimens. There’s a Christmas village and a mystery to be solved… lots of magical fun for all the family. Tickets: Adults, £16. Children (4yrs -16yrs), £10.00. Children under 4 go FREE. Family ticket (2 adults and 2 children, 4yrs -16yrs) £48.00.
2. Stockeld Park near Leeds, Wetherby and Harrogate has an enchanted forest until January 4th. The 1.2km trail winds its way through ancient woodland and you can either walk or wear a pair of Nordic skis to make your journey. Free entry and parking!
3. The Forestry Commission are putting on an illuminated tree trail at Westonbirt near Gloucestershire. The walk is 1 mile of spectacular lighting design.
4. Why not help your kids get lost in Edinburgh’s Christmas Tree Maze and see if you can find Santa’s helper who is waiting with a present? Tickets from £3.
5. If you are in Brighton on the 21st of December, check out Burning the Clocks when the locals make paper and willow lanterns to carry through the streets and burn on the beach. The lantern procession and spectacular bonfire at the end are really special. Free spectator event.
6. There is lots of Christmassy goodness happening at Cardiff Castle this year including an enchanting Castle Ghost tour!
7. With lantern making, festive characters and a giant Christmas wishing tree, a trip to Chester Zoo near Manchester at night sounds really special! You can book your tickets for Lantern Magic at the zoo here.
If are planning to go to one of these events and need to travel far, here are our top tips on how to get there:
- – Children under 11 can travel free on London buses, tube, tram and overground.
- – Team up with some friends: You can save 1/3 when purchasing 3 adult tickets or more at National Rail.
- – Buy your return tickets online to save! Plus if you do it using KidStart your kids will get 2% back from TheTrainLine, 1% The Train Genius and 1.5% East Midlands Trains.
- – Most trains and the tube will stop running at midnight, make sure you check the timetables or alternatively, buses like National Express often still work during the night (and give 5% back for your kids!).
- – Alternatively you could rent a car for the day at Zipcar (£15 back) or Carrentals (3% back).
- – If you’re travelling with your own car and think it’s time to get it checked up, Halfords Autocentres is our favourite and the kids get 3.5% back on all purchases.
Please do tell us about any other Christmas walks around the country!