We’ve explored some fun chocolate facts… You can thank us the next time you’re justifying that extra piece of chocolate!
If you love chocolate, you are not alone…
- – Nine out of ten people love chocolate.
- – The average European consumes 7Kg of chocolate a year.
- – Fifty percent of people claim they cannot live without chocolate every day.
10 ways chocolate could be good for you:
Historically Chocolate was the ‘cure all’ medicine for doctors who carried it in their little black bags and making ‘house calls’. Here are ten ways chocolate could be good for your health.
1. Dark chocolate contains lots of antioxidants that help the cardiovascular system by reducing blood pressure.
2. Eating dark chocolate widens arteries and promotes healthy blood flow that can prevent the build-up of plaque that can block arteries.
3. Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by 1/3.
4. Chocolate in its raw form is the highest antioxidant food on the planet.
5. Flavonoids found in cocoa products have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-clotting effects that can reduce the risk of diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity.
6. Theobromine is a natural ingredient that is a safer alternative as compared to caffeine and is a vasodilator which opens the blood vessels that helps reduce blood pressure and may even help with high cholesterol.
7. . Chocolate has an anti-bacterial effect on the mouth and protects against tooth decay
8. Chocolate helps curb your appetite and has been proven to help you lose weight.
9. The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which trigger relaxation.
10. Cocoa contains a chemical called theobromine that can help the body fight off the symptoms of the common cold.
Interestingly, in blind tests where chocolate lovers were given cacao (the core ingredient of chocolate) as capsules containing the same balance of chemicals, they didn’t report any of the same psychological benefits they had experienced when allowed to eat a bar of their favourite chocolate.
This suggests that the positive effects come in part from the satisfaction that only your favourite chocolates can bring. Our favourite is Hotel Chocolat who have a fantastic collection for Easter. They have eggs to suit every egg hunter – from their giant Easter eggs and milk chocolate eggs to luscious Extra thick or white chocolate Easter eggs. Plus KidStart members will receive 4% back on all purchases for their kids – what’s not to love!
When to stop?
Of course chocolate consumption doesn’t come without a few possible health risks, but a lethal dose of chocolate for a human being is about 10Kg so you’re unlikely to be in much danger!
DeNoon, Daniel. “Dark Chocolate Is Healthy Chocolate.” Accessed April 15, 2014.
Internet Brands, Inc.. “6 Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate.” Fit Day. Accessed April 15, 2014.
Laino, Charlene. “Chocolate Good for the Heart.” WebMD. Accessed April 15, 2014. .
Mora, RD, Kati. “Food Fight: Milk Chocolate vs. Dark Chocolate.” Fitness Magazine. Accessed April 15, 2015. .