Baby-proofing your home – what are your top tips?

Jan 18 • Featured, Uncategorized • 830 Views • 12 Comments on Baby-proofing your home – what are your top tips?

One of my friends is the mum to an adorable little girl who is just at that stage where she’s starting to crawl and explore. They’ve got a stair gate ready to install but she was asking me what other things I’d recommend they invest in.

Well, where to start? It’s definitely worth having a look round your home and considering things from a child’s point of view. ‘Curious children left unattended, even for a moment, will wonder into rooms that hold potential dangers,’ says Clare from Childalert. ‘Unncessary bumps, tumbles, burns and fractures and more serious injuries can be avoided with a little understanding and common sense of how to avoid them.’

Couldn’t agree more. So here’s my list of essentials for baby-proofing your home – please share yours, too:

1. Cooker guard. I still go cold when I think of a woman I interviewed once whose child pulled a pan of boiling water over herself. Such a simple device but incredibly useful. An oven lock is also a good idea.
2. Cupboard latches. It goes without saying that all household products, tablets and medicine etc should be out of reach, but these will give you total peace of mind.
3. Radiator covers. Inquisitive little hands (and arms) can all too easily become trapped, so these are brilliant.
4.  Loo seat catch. We lost count of the items – plastic dinosaurs, lego, socks – that were thrown in and fished out before we bought one of these.
5. Window locks. To avoid incidents like this.

You can find lots of essential safety products on the fab site Childalert. For more great tips on child-proofing your home, click here.

12 Responses to Baby-proofing your home – what are your top tips?

1. PetitMom says:

When I was with my parents as a toddler in our caravan I reached up to grab the kettle and… well I’m sure you can guess what happened. The scars on my chest didn’t fully fade until I was in my late teens, I’d cover myself up as much as possible and hated going in the showers at school cos it would show up even more then. It made my mother paranoid and she is super careful around my son whose trying to walk at the moment. I freak out when people hold him in one hand and a cup of tea in the other!

2. Helen says:

Fireguard, plug guards and stair gates were the main ones we used. We resisted temptaion to completely baby proof the house as we know other peoples houses won’t be when we visit! Therefore we taught Billy very early on not to open cupboards, not to play with the DVD/TV not to touch radiators not to go near fires etc. Just by removing him from these and saying no right from the first explorations has really worked and he has never been near any of them at ours or others houses since (he is now 2 and a half).

3. Jane says:

you know only last week my daughter dropped a toy behind the radiator in her bedroom and when she tried to retrieve it her arm was caught and burnt by the heat of the radiator. I have always been against covering radiators but these look good espcially for the bathroom and nursery/child’s bedroom. good post !

4. Tika says:

One of the best tips I have is using travel mugs. It really helps with peace of mind when it comes to hot drinks (and hot tea is one of the things that help me stay sane!). Apart from that we tend to put everything out of reach and teach the use of the word ‘no’. Our 12 month old will now leave wires alone (not quite so successful with the remote control) when told. We also have a stair gate to stop him getting into the kitchen at all unless he is in his high chair. I have to admit our biggest weapon is keeping a close eye on him and we are picking up the less obvious things as we go.

5. Matt Rayner says:

Not so much what I would recommend, but rather what I would strongly argue against; plug socket covers. Legislation in the UK really needs to be changed to outlaw the sale of these nasty little items. To see why visit http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

6. clare@childalert says:

in reply to Matts post – see http://www.childalert.co.uk/article.php?articles_id=28

7. Clare says:

thanks for socket cover info. I’ve have passed your links onto friends. Last month my daughter fell into a marble topped table – it’s a rented house, and I couldn’t move that particular piece of furniture. Thankfully we had put some ikea plastic hands on the corners and she was only left with a nasty bruise. I think she would have cut her face quite badly without them.

8. Looby says:

The main thing i did not think of until my mum mentioned the high number of children who strangle themselves, on a pull cord,. The best thing to do is draw your curtains or blinds, cut the excess cord so it is not reachable.

9. spencer says:

we only used a fireguard and made do with everything else. talked to them both about what they should and shouldn’t touch and why. Seems to have worked. The fire guard? Well they just lobbed things over it being the one place they could not get to.

10. CB says:

I’m shocked about plug covers, I never knew there were issues. I installed them in all sockets, they are a very tight fit, even I struggle to get them out, my daughter has never touched them or been interested in the plugs (she’s four this year) I agree with blind cords, keep cot away form the window and cord, and shorten out of reach and use the plastic beaded cords that break with weight on them. A fire guard is essential A stairgate for keeping them in or out as appropriate, you don’t need stairs to use one, we live in a bungalow, but used it on the office door, the nursery door and the kitchen door, when we wanted to keep her safe. Internal locks (the latch type) helped us also, when our daughter could open doors and we wanted her to be able to get up and come into our bedroom, but we didn’t want her to go anywhere else in the bungalow, these still work today, so she can’t get into the kitchen or lounge without us, or to the back door. We put the dvd up out of reach, we were lucky we could, and she has never put anything in it, unlike friends of ours who’ve replaced a few times, due to dvd player being fed biscuits and alsorts. I bought an Angelcare monitor and pressure pad which I adored and it gave me complete piece of mind when my daughter was a baby. Small toys that they can put in their mouth is a worry, but you learn very quickly to keep out of reach. Mucky shoes are a good one, leave your shoes at the door, make your home a no shoe household, think what you could’ve stood in whilst out do you want your babies face to near the sole of your shoe..yuk Gosh I sound like a md mum, but actually just one that cares!

11. Tricia says:

Turn door handles the other way – simply unscrew and swop handles to other side of the door. That way they must be turned upwards to open. My 14 month boy has not worked them out yet – great as we live in a flat and he could access every room easily before!

12. kerry says:

hi dont forget the small things like the wires at the back of your tv if there sticking out even a bit they will have them, also any dvd players, video players, xbox, wii ect they will stick alsorts in there, the radiators especially when there turned on and the plugs, stair gates the usuall because you cant watch them 24 7 no matter how much you try