Breastfeeding ‘creepy’? Do me a favour

Jun 27 • Uncategorized • 839 Views • 15 Comments on Breastfeeding ‘creepy’? Do me a favour

I chose not to breastfeed and I feel no need to justify or explain that decision.

But what I will say is that decision had nothing to do with my thinking it 'creepy'.

Now in a deliberately provocative article in Mother and Baby magazine, one of the editorial team has admitted she found it 'a little creepy.'

Whatever you may think about breastfeeding, I think to suggest something which is, after all, completely natural is 'creepy' is inflammatory and, when you're aimed at thousands of new mums, irresponsible as well.

I'd love to know what you think.

15 Responses to Breastfeeding ‘creepy’? Do me a favour

1. Deer Baby says:

This is a hard one. If we’re going to be non-judgmental then anyone who decides not to breastfeed or indeed to breastfeed then ANY reason at all should be valid. No one should have to explain their reasons. Whether people wanted their boobs back for themselves, whether they just never fancied it or whatever. It’s up to them. But for the editor of a magazine with high circulation aimed at new mothers….I don’t know. It does seem provocative just for the sake of it. I wonder why they ran with the article.

2. The Real Mamma Diaries says:

Breastfeeding is the most natural, amazing thing in the world. It’s best for your baby, for your body, for bonding and how anyone can call it creepy is beyond me. I breastfed both my children and don’t think I deserve some kind of medal for that. I don’t judge anyone who doesn’t breastfeed so why should they judge me? To discover this has been said by a woman and by one that works for a parenting magazine is shocking. I was editor of that magazine years ago and was very balanced in bottle vs breast and would never have allowed someone to call it ‘creepy.’ That term should never have been printed. It’s breastfeeding awareness week, so can only think that they did it to get some publicity, but they should be ashamed.

3. samantha says:

I breastfed – wasn’t up for doing it in public, but sometimes needs must – but you know it can be done very discreetly – and NO – it’s absolutely not creepy, though I do know many a mum who find it physically repulsive…

4. Gigi (MumsRock) says:

Frankly I think she’s entitled to her opinion, shocking though it may sound. We have had more feedback on our posts on the pressure to breastfeed in this country than the other way around. Because let’s face it – non-breast-feeding mothers are demonized by our yummy mummy society and that’s harmful to mothers and babies. The writer by the way is the dep.ed and whether they are hauling her over the coals or slapping her on the back, fact is she just said out loud what some women do actually think,

5. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

I agree Gigi, of course she’s entitled to her opinion, and I would never judge anyone for how they choose to feed their baby. What I object to is the use of inflammatory language such as the word ‘creepy’ in a magazine that is supposed to be a source of information and support.

6. Gigi says:

You have a point but I have to say I do know one or two friends who are slightly repelled by the act. Is that worse than creepy? It’s how they felt after all. And that magazine should cater for all mothers, not just B-feeders surely?

7. Natalie says:

Have to say, I totally agree with Gigi. Her opinion is her opinion and while no doubt some (500) will get their knickers in a twist and protest on Facebook (oh I love the modern age of technology), the fact is that the more people react to this is the more that people who do feel like this (and trust me – she’s not the only one) will feel that they’re not allowed to say how they feel. I would say to The Real Mamma Diaries – I take your point, I breastfed both of mine, however "Breastfeeding is the most natural, amazing thing in the world." is really Breastfeeding is the most natural, amazing thing in the world…to you. I breastfed both of mine to 8 and 10 months, enjoyed it, but also at times thought of it as a pain in the arse. I’m glad I’ve breastfed, will breastfeed again if I can if and when I have a third, but I’ve never thought of it as the most ‘amazing thing in the world’. If it was and these were my only children, sure I might as well gasp my last breath now as I’d have experienced everything.

8. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

I agree, it should cater for all mothers, but it also a responsibility to new mothers to support them in whatever decision they make.

9. jay (@cosmicgirlie) says:

I haven’t read the other comments, but my instant reaction is this woman, like any others, is entitled to her opinion. She finds it creepy? Fine. That’s her decision. I found it immensely painful, despite being told REPEATEDLY that it should never hurt. Can’t deny what I felt, can I? Or maybe I WAS in the wrong for feeling it painful. *snort* 500 people on facebook in a group? Please. I suspect there aren’t more because the rest of the thousands are thinking to themselves "damn…she spoke up for herself…wish I could be that strong". Get over it people. Don’t like it? Don’t listen. ;o)

10. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

Hi Jay – I think you’re right to a certain extent, but M&B’s readers are in the thousands, that’s why I have a problem with it. I just think magazines aimed at new mums have to be really careful about using such emotive language.

11. Lauracymft says:

She’s entitled to her own opinion. Perhaps people need to be more honest about breastfeeding and then maybe more mothers would consider it or not give up. Perhaps if someone had told me it was going to be painful when I first started breastfeeding my first I wouldn’t have given up so quickly. It was terribly painful and all the time I was told no it shouldn’t be sore. I breastfed (and still do) my second and it was painful in the beginning but I persevered and it stop being painful after a few weeks! I’ll be honest and say breastfeeding is the most natural thing on the planet to an extent. I find it creepy when mothers are still breastfeeding kids over the age of 2. If anyone asks me about breastfeeding (and I’m no expert!) I’ll always be honest with them! Great post though Liz, sure this will have many different views and strike a good debate!

12. Chasbo says:

Perhaps this says more about the author’s relationship with her own biology than anything else. Some people think refuse to accept that we humans are animals (mammals specifically) and that our bodily functions are just that: functions. Breast feeding is no more or less amazing than wounds healing or the digestion of food. that’s not to do breastfeeding down. Life itself is amazing and miraculous (apologies to Richard Dawkins) but I think the author of the article might be one of those people who thinks that going to the toilet is disgusting.

13. Gappy says:

I also believe that people are entitled to their opinions. Having said that I do find it sad that this woman believes breastfeeding to be "creepy." What does she think her breasts are for? The sexualisation of breasts is now so pervasive that some women find it gross to use them for their proper function of feeding babies. I just think that’s really fucked up you know?

14. Ania says:

I feel a little sad about the atomic fallout from that article. I can see how the terminology used by the author or her rationale may be provocative, but I think the overall response to it just reinforces the point she was making. If you are a mother who for whatever reason chooses not to breastfeed, you WILL be subject to intrusive questioning, judgement, snide remarks and sometimes very public berating from people who often know nothing about your life or reasons. You would never dream of questioning anybody’s choices in any other area of their life, but somehow it’s fine to do it with baby feeding. Amongst the many responses to this article I keep reading that the author is entitled to her views, but essentially she should keep them private, because she has responsibility to her readers. Well, I just wish that in the many articles I read on the subject someone would once mention that maybe it’s OK not to feel like it’s the best thing ever and spare me a lot of anguish and frustration. There seems to be such a disparity between what the reality of breastfeeding is for many women and what we feel is OK to tell new mothers as we fear they may choose "wrongly". I struggled so badly with breastfeeding. I was told that if I was doing it right, it wouldn’t hurt. That it is the most natural and beautiful thing in the world. All I remember from the first weeks is the constant pain, a frustrated baby who just wasn’t managing it and my own lips, bitten raw when I was trying to bear with the pain. I would come to resent feeding time and had emotional crying sessions on a daily basis. And with all that, I kept feeling l like it was somehow my fault, like I was letting the humanity down by even thinking about bottle feeding.. I just kept telling myself – I’ll just last till she’s 6 weeks and then give it up. My husband actually asked me to stop breastfeeding – nothing to do with "fun bags" , he just saw how miserable I was getting and how it was affecting my bonding time with my beautiful daughter. I didn’t stop BTW. And then of course, as if to prove a point, once we hit the 6 weeks mark, my daughter "got it", or maybe I just became impervious to pain, and breastfeeding became easy. I digress. Anyway, just one more comment on the offensive "fun bags". I wouldn’t necessary choose these words, but I think that the grief the author is getting for daring to express any kind of regard for the shape of her body and it’s alternative life as an instrument of seduction is a little unproportional. Open any women’s magazine on the "body" section and all you’ll see is perfect bodies, firming lotions, toning exercises, 10 ways of achieving multiple orgasm through tantric sex etc. And then we go and have a baby and are expected to wipe all that from our memory and be offended that someone mentions the body may be useful to anything else but childbearing. And yes, having been through it all, I would still attempt breastfeeding next time round. I just wouldn’t let anyone bully me again if it didn’t work. Somehow for years all you read on the "body" pages of the

15. deryck says:

blundell thinks thet her breasts are for the use of her lover.does it not dawn on her that her lovers preoccupation with breasts is because he(or she) is mentally going back to babyhood and imagining being back at his(her)mothers breast.does she want a mother fixated lover? THIS IS CREEPY.