Celebrity kids should be allowed to be children, too

Oct 9 • Featured, Uncategorized • 700 Views • 8 Comments on Celebrity kids should be allowed to be children, too

If there's one thing that makes me really angry at the moment (OK, it's one of many!) it's the thought of celebrities' children being turned into fashion 'icons'.

Right now, there's a lot of attention focused on little Suri Cruise, who reportedly has a 'million dollar wardrobe' , (including, bizarrely, shoes with big heels).

Suri Cruise is three.

Of course little girls (and some boys) often become interested in clothes at an early age. They become fussy about what they will/won't wear (I know a little boy who insisted on wearing his wellies to bed and a little girl who likes to wear party dresses everywhere, even playgroup). And you cut your measure according to your cloth, as the saying goes, so if you can afford to spoil your kids, it's hard to resist the temptation not to.

But spending such an obscene amount of money on a wardrobe for a toddler is crazy. The most important thing about children's clothes, as most parents know, is that they should be PRACTICAL. And I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of 'fashionising' children, celeb or otherwise. The other day someone asked me if I'd take part in a 'who's the best dressed celebrity child?' poll. My answer? A big fat NO.

Let me know what you think.

8 Responses to Celebrity kids should be allowed to be children, too

1. sarah challice says:

I agree! Children grow so quickly! I hope she passes them on a deserving charity.

2. sam says:

If money is no object, then, why not? Not so sure about the heels, but I am sure that if I had the money to splash out on cool designer clothes for my kids, I would. And if they only last a few weeks/months, then GREAT – I can just do more shopping! Seriously, though, I agree with Sarah on the subject of charity. My sister, a single mum, relies heavily on charity clothes and loves it when she finds a designer bargain, which is often as good as new.

3. Sam says:

…I should also add that so long as the child is happy and well cared for, the clothes shouldn’t really matter…

4. samantha says:

If children grow up wearing a certain brand or designer they expect designer this & that all the time – even if your funds don’t allow… I must admit i don’t "label" my kids but i have found a few designer bragins in the local charity shop – £1.99 for a near new boys puma padded jacket!!

5. Yvonne says:

It’s also worth bearing in mind that a lot of "designer" clothes are made by people, in third world countries, who work long hours for a wage that wouldn’t feed a pet gerbil in the western world. The "designers" just stick on a bigger mark-up.

6. Yvonne says:

Oh.. the big heels are probably for Tom – not Suri.

7. KELL says:

Why on earth would anyone put a 3-y-o in kitten heals for Chrissake? Are they insane? And as for never wearing the sameoutfit twice, that’s just preposterous! The rate kids grow out of clothes it’s just ridiculous to go through so many of them, no matter how much money you have – it’s just so wasteful! ANd to think of all the other children that could be helped with the money that’s wasted by them.

8. KELL says:

I sincerely hope those clothes get passed to a charity for resale/redistribution once little Suri is done with them. ALl except for those stupid shoes which can’t be good for a child’s developing feet – they should be binned immediately!