Dancing on Ice – and a slight difference of opinion

Jan 12 • Featured • 769 Views • 15 Comments on Dancing on Ice – and a slight difference of opinion

We're not an ice-skating family. Tobogganning, yes. But skating, never. (I blame the parents, neither of whom are particularly graceful.) I do like watching it, however, so I couldn't wait to see Dancing on Ice on Sunday.

I was expecting the usual formulaic stuff – celebrity has a fall in the week, question mark over whether they're going to be able to skate, then they manage to glide across the ice to thunderous applause.

What I wasn't expecting was to be moved by Heather Mills.

Most people I know can't stand Heather Mills. Since none of us have ever met her, this seems grossly unfair, but she is, as they say her own worst enemy. (Those slightly mad TV interviews haven't helped, either.)

But to see this mum with only one and a half legs whirling across the ice when you know the extraordinary effort it must have taken brought tears to my eyes, and to be honest it made me see her in a completely different light. She's proved that having a disability is not a barrier to anything, and for that she gets my total respect.

*What did you think of Heather's performance?

15 Responses to Dancing on Ice – and a slight difference of opinion

1. Cara says:

I agree wholeheartedly. I thought she was incredible! I can’t stand Heather (and I don’t think that short hair style helps her look) but all that aside I am sure she must be hugely inspirational to anyone who has lost a limb. She hasn’t got where she’s got without immense focus and determination and it really does go to show that life is too short anyway so you shoud just go for it! I stil don’t like her much but I admire her more than I have done and will be fascinated to see how she gets on and hoep she does well..

2. Ali says:

Inspirational indeed. Shame she’s still as nutty as a box of Alpen.

3. Nickie says:

Yes, I was in total shock too – shame on me, to be fair! I shouldn’t be so judgemental prior to the show but it still doesn’t make me like her any more though. However, I believe that she can’t feasibly stay in the "competition" very long because of the disciplines they have to achieve each week.

4. Nic says:

I have to admit I still don’t like her and it annoys me that no doubt every week it will be about her leg and nothing else. The others have done just as well even managing to stand up on the ice so it shouldn’t be taken away from them.

5. Emily O says:

Given the slating Heather Mills has had in the press over the past few years I think it’s very brave of her to take part in a prime time show in this country. If that had been me on the receiving end of that, I’d have been hiding somewhere like the Australian outback for the rest of my days. I warmed to her watching her performance and it did get husband and I discussing what a positive role model she is. I think she was treated harshly in the press and if this gives her a chance to do something positive then I wish her lots of luck. And I once read about her pregnancy with McCartney’s daughter and how difficult it was for her with her injuries from the accident (I think she had to have her pelvis pinned or something), that changed my opinion of her a bit too. The woman’s got spirit.

6. sam says:

The thing I love about Livingwithkids is that if you’ve missed something on TV or elsewhere – you always know Liz will have picked up on it and point you in the right direction – i missed the Heather Mills dancing on ice – ahhhhhhhh! but just looked it up and found a whole lot of gossip – she will quit unless she can skate in non-leather soled skates and she has alot of injuries – I do admire her but I feel that there is always a secondary motive.

7. Linda says:

My business partner who is like a sister to me is an amputee who was told she would never walk or have children, she’s a constant inspiration. Just like HM, she has had her leg removed just below the knee, but had to make that decision as a child. We don’t touch on this at all really but she has won an award and been on TV/in papers etc. She won medals for her Latin American dancing when she was a little girl. She said that like many people she had a fixed idea of what Heather Mills was going to be like and that she would be first out, but she said she couldn’t believe what she achieved when you consider how difficult it is to balance on a prosthetic leg. A client came to see us on Monday and was making all sorts of jokes about Heather, as people do! Whatever you think of her, I’ve always found it uncomfortable when people do this – we both just sort of smiled and changed the subject! I agree that Heather was an inspiration because of a physical disability and none of us know her at all to be able to judge what really went on in a marriage or a divorce court, but yep I think her appearances afterwards spoke volumes.

8. Becky (babybudgteing) says:

Wel lthis might sound a bit mad but my family are all non-leather wearing vegetains too and what I LOVE is that she won’ stay in the competition unless her sktes are non-leather. She is a woman on not only courage but INTEGRITY and that is inspirational!

9. Expat Mum says:

She was on Dancing with the Stars in the States last year and I have to say, she was amazing. As an ex-dancer, I can see that some of those dances are really hard yet she seemed able to do them all well. She did fall after one dance but it didn’t seem to upset her uduly. I do find her a bit grating, but you have to give her full marks for grit and determination.

10. A Modern Mother says:

I missed it, but I have to applaude her for doing it. I can’t skate, and I have two legs!

11. sam says:

Can’t help it – actually turned over at the point where she was about to dance – don’t like her. I agree that there’s always a secondary motive with her – take Paul McCartney for example…and as for the ice skate drama…she’ll be calling herself Linda next and cooking veggie meals for one…

12. Sarah says:

I have to say on Friday night after watching who was in the contest this year I was ready for the jokes that appeared on Facebook and laughed at some! I dont really like her, or rather, I don’t like her as the person the media have told me she is, that saidI think she did fantastic and I also applaud whichever of the male judges it was who said that whilst he is impressed with her doing it ith a false leg he wants to see more from the rest of her too. Not sure she will win but if she keeps it up she has a fair few weeks ahead of her in he competition!

13. Dulwich Divorcee says:

I’m with A Modern Mother on this – incredible achievement whatever you think of the lady herself

14. Natalie says:

Haven’t watched it but I am always amused by the comments she attracts. I don’t have any major feelings on her either way – you have to admire her brass balls and determination whichever way you look at it. The woman doesn’t give a hoot about what anyone thinks. I do think it’s unfair to say she has secondary motives. In this day age (jaysus I sound like my mum…) there is nobody and I mean *nobody* who doesn’t go on a reality TV/talent show without a secondary motive. They’re all in it to raise their status, get more work, and get more money. I watched the documentary on channel 4 a couple of years back – I was clutching my sides as she sure is painted as a piece of work. We do love an underdog here – maybe she’ll win.

15. topsy.com says:

Pingback from topsy.com Twitter Trackbacks for Dancing on Ice – and a slight difference of opinion [kidstart.co.uk] on Topsy.com