Do Dads need their own space – and if so, just how much?

Oct 6 • Featured • 732 Views • 8 Comments on Do Dads need their own space – and if so, just how much?

Apparently Brad Pitt has a 'man cave' in his Californian mansion (and also in the one in Louisiana, and the one in the South of France), a room of his own where Girls Are Not Allowed. Angelina seems a pretty independent kind of woman, to put it mildly, so I can't imagine this would bother her much. But it got me wondering how many of your partners have their own space within your home – and whether or not you think this is a good thing.

I can remember my dad spending hours pottering around in the garden, and my son's father has both a shed and a study where he can retreat should the mood take him. And I can think of a few friends who would like nothing better than to see their men disappear up to a room of their own (and preferably not come back down for a few weeks), if only space would permit. Time with 'the boys' is also very important for men of all ages. But I can't help feeling that when dads are at home, they should be interacting with the kids, being part of the family.

Still, maybe the advantage of dads having a 'man cave' is that (theoretically) their 'toys' won't be allowed to overflow into the rest of the house.

Let me know what you think!

8 Responses to Do Dads need their own space – and if so, just how much?

1. Andrea says:

My cousin and her hubby have separate bedrooms. Hers is all girlie and his is manly, messy and smelly. It seems to works for them. Every now and again they get together in each others rooms. Quite romantic really.

2. The Real Mamma Diaries says:

My husband does have his own space – it’s called the spare room! When we need to get away from each other – or he wants to watch football while I catch up with Project Runway – he goes up there to chill. Our six-year-old son’s cottoned on now though and goes up there too to watch ‘big boys tv’ so it’s now their bonding room. I think the car is now the new shed – more portable and easier to clean. I think I now have cave envy though I would go into it with Brad and not ignore him like Angelina!

3. Nicola says:

Only if I can have one too!

4. Caroline says:

My husband has a hot tub in the garden, and spends many happy hours in it (usually in the evening, when I’m watching stuff he doesn’t like on the TV), listening to Radio 4, or just watching the stars in the sky. Obviously the rest of us use the tub as well, but it’s really ‘his’ hot tub, and he uses it far more than the rest of the family.

5. sam says:

My husband built himself a cabin at the end of the garden – that’s where he goes to watch football if there’s something far more important for me to watch in the lounge. My son, too, has picked up on this and even though he hates football, he likes sit and have some bonding time with dad…

6. Bev says:

Love the cabin in the garden idea sam- must mention this one. Think my hubby would love a space to call his own and have it decorated to his (rather old fashioned) style. He once brought some lovely wood panelling home, like the kind you find in a church, and wanted to use it in the living room – lovely wood but far too dark for our low ceiling house, I did let him use it in the downstairs loo tho!!

7. sam says:

I don’t know why, but the wood panelling reminds me of my uncle. He’s a bit of a crazy antiques collector – church pews ‘n’ all that. He also has a place of his own at the bottom of the garden – underground! Ever since a little boy he has loved to dig, and over the years he has driven my auntie mad with his digging – now he has dug the biggest hole under his garden to make his own hideaway where he makes things, a bit like an underground shed, you know.

8. Sarah says:

I agree, I think its important men have their cave. A place to brood, potter, be manly and store stuff. Since the arrival of kids, my man’s space has been slowly eroded. So as a compromise i take the kids and myself away occassionally for a night so he can be king of his castle once in a while. Sounds odd, but he plays his records full pelt, watches CSI on a loop, reads his music mags, makes a mess and eats crap, without any interference from me or offspring. Keeps him sane – just!