I'm not a natural housekeeper, and I'm sure Kim, Aggie and Anthea Turner would be horrified if they saw our house. But I do recognise when a job can't be put off any longer. Our Cupboard Under The Stairs has been getting seriously out of control, and it has become more and more difficult to find what you need in it (for example, a pair of matching shoes.) And apparently, judging by the footwear left in the hall, I'm the only one who knows where it's located, too.
So yesterday morning as I was up early anyway with the puppy, and while everyone else was sleeping, I decided to tackle the Cupboard. Unfortunately this didn't yield any treasure, but I did find the following:
- Around 40 'Bags For Life' (clearly we're not really getting the point of these)
- 21p in loose change
- Assorted wrapping paper, gift tags and Christmas cards
- The ironing board (you can tell how often we use it)
- At least 20 pairs of matching shoes, boots and trainers
- Various energy-saving lightbulbs
I wonder how long it will be before it becomes messy again. I give it a month.
written by Liz Jarvis