Friends SHOULD be allowed to share childcare

Sep 28 • Featured • 689 Views • 13 Comments on Friends SHOULD be allowed to share childcare

I was very lucky with my childcare when I first went back to work because my sister offered to help out. (She subsequently became a registered childminder so she could look after children she wasn't related to as well.)

And of course it's right that childminders should be registered if they're looking after children whose mothers aren't friends or related to them.

But close friends have shared childcare, either by minding each other's kids for a few hours after school, or in the holidays, for years. Many families would struggle to survive without these more 'casual' arrangements, particularly in the current climate. They should be allowed to continue, regardless of whether there's a financial arrangement in place.

So it seems totally daft to me that two policewomen who are close friends have been told they must be registered childminders to look after each's other's children.

Let me know what you think.

13 Responses to Friends SHOULD be allowed to share childcare

1. Nicola says:

I would never leave my child with someone I didn’t know and trust. Are we not allowed to make that decision for ourselves? What ‘they’ are saying is that I could leave my children with a complete stranger who is registered but not with someone they know who is not? How stupid! And what about after school ‘playdates’? Will they have to stop unless the parent who is looking after them is registered?

2. Liz says:

Totally agree with you Nicola – it’s crazy. I hope it doesn’t put parents off looking after each other’s children.

3. sally says:

It’s crazy. This atmosphere of paranoia, can’t be good for out children.

4. singlemamasrock says:

Completely agree with Nicola on that one – it appears to me strange what the government will get involved in and what it chooses not too. Is this just not creating more barriers to women in the workplace – I (and my children) feel a damn sight happier with them being looked after by close friends than by a stranger who has managed to pass a childminders inspection (I am not dissing childminders – my son will not go to someone he does not know) I am simply saying that the chocie should be mine. After all I care more abiut what happens to my children than anyone else!

5. Bev says:

Surely the government could have spent the time they wasted coming up with this one on doing something constructive to help the country in its current dire situation. I am sure most mums of young and school age children rely at some point on friends to look after the children be this a one off or a regular arrangement, that’s what parents have done for years. How ridiculous to say that they need to be registered. Friends help each other out, it would be a sad world if we could not rely on our friends when we needed them, I’m not really sure we can say the same about the government!

6. Jacqui says:

I’m a working mum, and all my family live on the other side of the world. So I rely on the goodwill of friends to occasionally take my daughter when I have to meet an important deadline. These are trusted people, who have children themselves, and I don’t know how I would cope without their assistance. I understand the importance of keeping kids as safe as possible, but I trust my friends, who know and love my daughter, much more than a stranger with the right paperwork.

7. zoe says:

Has the whole country taken leave of its senses. I have never in my life heard anything so Barmy. A trusted friend is the obvious choice when needing some help re child care. What happens if you have no family. Im in Australia and have no family. It means you have no choices and are completely powerless to undertake most activities that exclude children. Particularly working. Not everyone has a 9 to 5 job which makes nurserys a more viable option. When you work shifts you simply cannot achieve this without help. Closer to the family. Its what people have done for years. If it was good enough for women to help each other in the 2nd world war. When the women were running the country whilst the men were away fighting. Then its good enough now. No wonder so many people are leaving the UK.

8. samantha says:

I can’t agree more with Nicola. Thankfully my childminder has become a really trusted friend.

9. alison says:

any ideas on a petition or anything that has been started so we can try and get this ridiculous law changed?

10. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

That’s a great idea Alison!

11. Very Bored Housewife says:

Hmmm, I hadn’t realised how naive I’ve been. I never realised that paedophiles were never family members, only operated in their own homes and only at certain hours! Unbelievable!

12. sharon says:

I find it totally out of order that it would be acceptable to move in a ‘boyfriend’ who could be left with the children – yet a friend and mother cannot look after your child. How many children are abused by partners of their mothers vs friends of their mothers? It makes you wonder how much resource was spent chasing this up – and also who reported them and why??

13. KELL says:

So, what about babysitters? Aren’t we going to be allowed to get a family member or friend to look after our kids for an afternoon or evening while we o to an appointment or have a well-deserved night out? Where will it stop?