Help! I’ve got back to school separation anxiety

Aug 30 • Featured, Uncategorized • 782 Views • 7 Comments on Help! I’ve got back to school separation anxiety

School starts for us on Thursday, and already I’m starting to quietly panic. It’s probably because I’m a Cotton Wool Mum but I hate the thought of my offspring being out of my sight for over six hours a day again. I’ve loved every minute of the summer holidays because I haven’t had that anxiety I feel whenever I think about what could happen on the way to/from school, or even during break time. I know it’s irrational and there’s no basis for it, that I’ll be at work anyway and it will be nice to have time to myself, etc, but I just can’t help it.

Am I the only one who feels like this – or do you suffer from back to school separation anxiety too, and if so, what do you think the best way is to deal with it?

7 Responses to Help! I’ve got back to school separation anxiety

1. Whimsical Wife says:

I have been, remain and always will be cotton wool mum & suffer school separation anxiety… It’s ridiculous, I do know that at least!! School takes very good care of them but I am always poised to hurtle around there at the first notice… I suppose it gets better as they get older but wait… Then it’s high school and school buses and mountains if peer pressure… Arrrgh!

2. Rosie Scribble says:

I can’t wait for the schools to re-open! Having said that, I know I’ll miss her. Being reunited at the end of the day is the best bit.

3. Sue Atkins says:

Hi I’ve written a lot about this and worked with lots pf parents feeling the same anxiety and it’s perfectly normal – as of course you love your kids. So here are a couple of questions that may help. From the moment you play peek a boo with your kids you are preparing them to live independently from you one day…. it’s all about taking small steps that feel right for you and not passing on irrational fears that will hold your kids back from embracing life and "having a go" in all sorts of ways.

4. MrsLJHall says:

I am a fully fledged cotton wool mum. While I respect, understand and to some extent agree with what Sue has said above, I always end up back at the same point – I am sure that if the mother of any child who had been abducted/abused could go back and re-make their decision, that they would opt for not letting them out of their sight. That in no way means that I lay blame at the feet of the poor parents involved in these tragic situation, far from it. It just means that I’d much rather err on the side of caution.

5. jfb57 says:

I do appreciated that some of you are going to find it difficult on that first morning but that is what life is about. You surely want your children to grow up feeling confident with themselves & the world THEY live in. Obviously, there are dangers out there & it is our job to make them as aware as possible but we owe it to them to allow them to become independant. However much you protect them & ‘shield’ them, there will come a day when they say goodbye & we need to make sure they have all the skills to cope.

6. spudballoo says:

mmmm interesting. I’m a kind of hybrid cotton wool mum. I’m overly protective, ish…but I need time on my own so nursery is such a blessing for me! But the Big One starts school on Thursday and I do feel anxious about it. Not so much that I worry what could happen to him, more than the sands are shifting under me and my role will change. And his relationship with his brother (one year younger) will change, and that really REALLY bothers me. It’s so complicated this parenting lark. I thought it was ‘so hard’ when they were babbies. But it was easy peasy compared to this stuff!

7. Deer Baby says:

I’m also a Cotton Wool Mum but I’m not really suffering from separation anxiety about him going back to school. I tend to think he’s safe there. I see him off at the corner, wave goodbye and meet him at the gates or in the playground at hometime. Of course when he goes to secondary school and has to go on a bus by himself and have a mobile phone and hang out with his mates, then I’ll really start to worry.