It’s policies, not biscuits and computer skills that matter

Nov 22 • Featured, Uncategorized • 999 Views • 12 Comments on It’s policies, not biscuits and computer skills that matter

There's been a lot of talk in the press this week about how the next election, more so than any other, will be fought at the school gates and online , with bloggers and users of networking sites like Mumsnet now becoming hugely important to the politicians .

As a 'cyber mum' myself, I couldn't care less which biscuit a politician likes, or whether they can use a keyboard fast enough. And while I have every sympathy for their personal tragedies, this won't influence my decision either.

What matters to me are policies – and whether we'll all be worse, or better off under a new government, in terms of education, money, childcare and health. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

12 Responses to It’s policies, not biscuits and computer skills that matter

1. Muummmeeeee! says:

Quite right!

2. A Modern Mother says:

Agreed. And I also think that all the typos Cameron made while frantically fielding Qs made him seem more human….

3. Linda says:

Well said Liz! I’m thinking of rejoining a politcal party that I left about 20 years ago. There’s a blogger who is in direct opposition to many of the views I hold, I love the fact that we can engage online and treat each other with respect, though I suppose in real life we may shout each other down! And I suppose a lot of political bloggers can be quite vicious, though of course the ones I am thinking of are, um blokes. x

4. Sandy Calico says:

Well said Liz. It seems to be the men in the media trivialising women’s political views by going on about biscuits. Like all intelligent adults we will look at the real issues affecting us and our children when we go to vote. I spoke at length to the Independent about the world financial crisis, but of course they left most of this out and left in that I thought Cameron was a bit smarmy. I said a lot more about his party and his policies than that!

5. Karen Cannard says:

I couldn’t agree more. I suppose at least what’s come out of recent events is a greater interest in politics and starting to prepare now for who I will vote for: Thanks for your support earlier btw I was feeling a tad nervous 🙂

6. notSupermum says:

Absolutely right Liz, these trivial aspects can sometimes cloud the real issues – especially when the media pay so much attention to them.

7. New Mummy says:

I complety agree, I don’t care about biscuits I care about how these policies will affect me and my family

8. TheMadHouse says:

I have to agree on the biscuits, it clouds the real issues. For the first time in my life I am actually really intested in politics and the way they affect my family. Policiticans should be connecting with me. We are an imporatant demographic. I have linked to this in my latest post if you dont mind

9. Emily O says:

I agree, it’s a case of which government we’ll be better off under which matters to me. We rely on one salary which is from my husband’s company. I don’t want to start ranting about how Labour have hammered small businesses in the past 10 years. It’s nice to think the election will be ‘fought at the school gates’, but will any policies aimed at us actually be implemented? We all have our wish lists for our families but I suspect they’ll remain wish lists whatever party gains power next year.

10. Brit In Bosnia says:

If politicians think all us Mums are swayed by insignificant things like what biscuit they prefer they are sorely mistaken. Many of us are very intelligent, politically aware, articulate women who happen to be at home looking after children at this stage of our life. I can’t stand being talked down to and would ask that they treat us with the respect that our intelligence and education deserves. Tell us about your policies, don’t think that we won’t understand the issues and let us make our own minds up. Good point Liz, well made and thanks for making it.

11. angelsandurchinsblog says:

At least they’re talking to mothers. I don’t want to be only treated as a mother, but there are specific concerns that come with the job that often don’t get addressed. Such as why you can claim tax relief on a chauffeur, but not on a nanny. Let ’em be scared of us, I say. Look what happened to Blair with the WI.

12. Coding Mamma (Tasha) says:

Personally, while I might be interested in whether my immediate family will be better off or not, I still prefer to look at the big picture and know that the people in need – poor families, children, pensioners, refugees, etc. etc. – will be looked after. Education, health care, welfare benefits, and please tax the rich more, not less. There is no way that I would change my political affiliation based on a potentially smaller tax bill, for example. Sadly, we just found out our local Labour MP is anti Europe, which is something that is making us very uncomfortable, as Europe is very important to us. Will need to do some thinking.