Jamie and his magic touch

Aug 20 • Featured, Uncategorized • 677 Views • 7 Comments on Jamie and his magic touch

Jamie's American Road Trip

One of the funniest things on TV right now has to be the trailer for Jamie Oliver's new Channel4 series. (In case you haven't seen it, he's dressed up as all of the Village People, and appears to be wearing some particularly cheeky chaps.)

I'm a big fan of Jamie's. Not just because he's a fab chef and family man, but because of the work he's done with underprivileged kids through the Fifteen Foundation, and also, of course, because of the School Dinners' campaign.

I only wish I could borrow him for when the new school term starts – because now that we're not supposed to be giving kids ham for their sandwiches, I'm a bit stumped for ideas. Humous dries out too quickly, peanut butter is a no no, tuna isn't liked.

What do you give your kids for their packed lunches? Let me know and I'll post a round up of the best suggestions in a few weeks.

7 Responses to Jamie and his magic touch

1. sally Chaplin says:

Seeing that I’ve already practically murdered my kids with ham, bacon and sausages, I think I’ll stick with all things pig. I find lunchboxes such a headache, my kids have school meals. The youngest still has a lunchbox, filled with the sort of things that would give Gillian McKeith a nervous breakdown. I can’t keep up with what’s good for you and what’s not any more. I give up. xx

2. Lorraine Wade says:

Afraid I will continue to give my son ham, he likes it, and I think that sometimes giving kids what they like is not a bad thing. In all honesty if we listened to everything that was bad for us there would be very little left to eat…its all about balance, and I can see how giving a child ham in a sandwich every now and then is doing him any harm.

3. Sam says:

My son will be starting school dinners in September as he refuses to have anything other than cheese and pickle sandwiches in his lunchbox…

4. Bev says:

I have so many books and magazine articles about what is the best thing to give your kids in their lunch boxes, all of which sound great and are simple to prepare – so why oh why do my kids come home with the food still uneaten in the lunch boxes; it’s not as if they are fast food junkies or anything, more likely that they look at their school pals boxes and think they wish they had a lunch like they did – even if it may not be what I think is appropriate. My kids’ school has fairly healthy school lunches but then I don’t know what they have actually eaten. Does anyone have an answer for this one??!!!

5. tishtashtoys says:

We’re veggie so the kids love hummous sarnies (which we don’t find dries out). DD likes Quorn slices (chicken style) or cheese salad, sometimes nutella, occasionally marmite. DS loves strawberry jam and egg sandwiches.

6. Caroline says:

No ham? Why? Blimey, you go away for a fortnight, and come back to discover you can’t give your kids ham sarnies any more.