Give working mums a break!

Sep 29 • Featured • 803 Views • 6 Comments on Give working mums a break!

I do get so fed up with all this knocking of working mums. Now a new survey has revealed that they have the unhealthiest children because their kids are more likely to be driven to school watch a lot of TV and are fed junk food

But as with all things, it depends on the mum, doesn't it? I can think of quite a few non-working mums whose children have too many sugary snacks and not enough exercise. And I can think of plenty of working mums who always ensure their children have a healthy balanced diet and get plenty of fresh air.

In fact, I think that what happens when you're a working mum is that you often go out of your way to ensure your child is eating healthily and getting enough exercise – because it helps compensate for the tremendous guilt you feel at leaving them to go to work in the first place.

So enough, please, of these ridiculous surveys which simply add to the guilt. Working mums have enough on their plate, without being made to feel as though they're not doing the best for their children as well.

6 Responses to Give working mums a break!

1. Caroline says:

Yeah, I heard this one on the news this morning as well. Ridiculous. Couldn’t agree more with what you’ve already said. And no doubt, if the mothers weren’t working and were claiming benefits instead, they’d be labelled lazy scroungers. Feels like we just can’t win, doesn’t it?

2. Peggy says:

I totally agree with you!! Enough of this kind of survey. How about they start broadcasting positive ones in order to give a little more confidence to mothers?!

3. Ellen says:

Hi Liz I saw this and I am kind of on the fence, when I worked I was so desperate to spend as much time with Ben in the evening as I could that I didn’t want to spend a long time cooking, so we ate more convinience food than we would normally do, I covered this as well today in my blog ( . I suppose that the other thing is that no matter how good a nursery or childminder is we never really know what goes on, I sent Ben to an excellent nursery with a big emphasis on sport and outdoor activity but I always had that paranoid assumption in my head that he would have had no exercise and therefore I had to spend weekends frantically trying to go out and about with him to compensate. Now that I am home with the boys I do have more time to spend taking them out for walks, dancing with them and cooking healthy meals for Ben, DH and I so for us I can see that I would have fitted in with that survey. That said (nearly done I promise) every Mum is different and I am sick of the guilt that is piled on working mums and SAHM’s. We’re dammed if we do (give up work, kiss half of your family income goodbye, let your child see you as a lay about, miss sending your child to nursery etc…) and we are dammed if we don’t (go to work, spend most of the day worrying about how the nursery is treating the snuffly nose / wheezy cough, be looked down upon by childless workers who can cover a meeting at a drop of a hat unlike you and lose all your annual leave in a flurry of doctor appointments). Whatever we do its generally the best for the family at that point.

4. singlemamasrock says:

Here we go again all the ills of the world being laid at the door of the working mum (NOT the working father I hasten to add!!). I have worked full time, part time and stayed at home with my children who at all times have been well fed and healthey (thank god for a slow cooker) and do a variety of actvities Even worse I have been a single mum for the past 6 years so I must be doubly bad with my children bound to be lawless and geneerally screwed up if we were to believe all these suurveys!! I’m not sure what the aim of this latest gem was but a little more support for parents (despite all we read the majority of kids in the uk grow up to be hardworking and law abiding) and less criticism would not go amiss!

5. Bev says:

Oh well said Liz Like your comments ‘singlemamasrock’ – you sound like the perfect mum to me (and that’s a heartfelt comment, I’m not being glib) x

6. jaynehowarth says:

Well said! Although part of the blame has to be on lazy journalism with this one, there are far too many surveys berating mothers for having the audacity to have a career – or "just" a job. Even my children acknowledge the value in my working (usually when they are at the receiving end of a treat – but you know what I mean!)