Hands up if your new year’s resolution is to lose weight? If so, you’re not alone. Millions of mums (and dads) like me will be trying to get healthy from this week. And while the demoralising voices of doom will be saying the usual diets won’t work/it will last five days/you won’t do it, here is some motivating advice to help you achieve your weight loss goals in 2013.
1. Losing just 5% of your current body weight equals better health. Losing weight is no longer about reaching a target goal but about getting healthy and for most of us, this means losing as little as 5 per cent of our current body weight so we can reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Better still studies show that nearly 40% of people who lose at least 5% of their body weight kept it off.
2. Diets do work as long as you choose one that teaches you to eat well. One proven method is Weight Watchers . A 2011 Lancet study that looked at obese adults who were given a year’s Weight Watchers membership, saw they lost twice as much weight as another group who were treated by GPs. Plus I know plenty of women who have lost weight and kept it off for over 5 years.
3. Small changes always have big results. Cutting out one big unhealthy factor from your diet such as chocolate, fast food or alcohol from your diet will make a difference, even if you don’t do anything else. Though doing more of course, equals a bigger and faster weight loss.
4. Ditching sugary soft drinks equals weight loss. Researchers say they have the strongest evidence yet that sugary drinks play a leading role and that eliminating them would, more than any other single step, make a huge difference. Experts say they know of no other category of food whose elimination can produce weight loss in such a short period of time.
5. Short bursts of exercise work. No time for exercise? Well according to research short 20 minute bursts of “high intensity exercise” such as running, can actually burn 200 calories, much more than jogging or walking for long periods.
6. Apps can help you lose weight. Put that smartphone to good use. Apps that let you track how much they eat and exercise can help you lose weight more than diet groups.
So are you trying to lose weight? What’s your best weight loss tip let us know.