Prevention is better than cure

Jul 24 • Featured • 718 Views • 7 Comments on Prevention is better than cure

Right now, with the long summer holidays stretching in front of us, the thought of the kids being kept off school even longer isn't exactly a welcome prospect. But discovering that under-fives and five to 14-year-olds are 'super-spreaders' of swine flu, and that it can be fatal even in previously healthy children is even scarier. I'm not sure whether we're being whipped up into mass hysteria, or whether our fears are justified. But I'll do everything I can to protect my family from a potentially fatal illness, and if that means extending the summer holidays, well, bring it on.

I'd love to know what you think – do leave your comments below.

7 Responses to Prevention is better than cure

1. Heather says:

I think at the end of the day, it is still flu, if you are going to get, you are going to get it. Just make sure your immune system is as strong as possible, and be sensible

2. sally Brockway says:

Apparently ordinary flu kills slighty more people than the Swine variety and we don’t get hysterical about it. I say send them to school. Besides, I am pretty sure my three-year-old has had it and she was only mildly ill for a few days.

3. Antonella says:

no school!

4. Nicola says:

I’m sorry but I think that repeated posts like this all over the internet don’t help the ‘mass hysteria’. Yes, I would also do everything I can to protect my children from anything potentially fatal but I do think we have to keep things in perspective. If you or your child is worse than you would expect when ill or you are worried about anything then you need to contact the NHS, as you would with anything.

5. Liz says:

Nicola, I think it’s important for parents to be informed about what’s happening, and unfortunately the NHS is overwhelmed at the moment. If the schools close in September – and it’s been indicated this is a real possibility – this is going to cause huge problems for parents who have to return to work, for kids who will lose out on valuable lesson time, and so on. But if the alternative is sending them to school to be infected with swine flu then really I think it probably makes sense. My sister got a tamiflu prescription this morning because her daughter has a temperature of 104F – she got the prescription via the Government website, because this is what you’re advised to do now. The point about this flu, unlike other flu, is that at the moment, at least, it seems to be more prevalent in children.

6. Vicky says:

I think it’s a bit worrying that people are able to self-diagnose/diagnose their children and get a prescription for Tamiflu from the internet. If as is being predicted there are more cases of swine flu in September/October then I also don’t see how the schools would have any alternative but to close. For me it would be a nightmare, as I’d have to find someone to look after my two children so I can go to work. I think the Government needs to get a grip on this situation as soon as possible, right now I’m not convinced they are.

7. sam says:

No harm at all comes from talking about swine flu whether it be across the internet, the school playground or through the media. The more we talk, the more information we can piece together. I am no expert, but my sister has now had swine flu. Apart from being treated like a leper for a week by family and friends, her illness also seemed pretty heavy – she was in a great deal of pain and struggled with her breathing for a day. But after her dose of tamiflu she was right as rain the next day. Now having talked amongst the family a bit, we have come to the conclusion, that her daughter, boyfriend and quite probably my five-year-old son have also had it – but with all three, it went primarily unnoticed as it’s just like any other flu. And as with any flu, you have to be cautious if you’re vulnerable – low immune problems, asthma. My sister had half a lung burnt out as a child after drinking paint stripper, hence her apparent ‘severity’.