So much for Mum of the Year

Aug 18 • Featured • 608 Views • 12 Comments on So much for Mum of the Year

It may sound harsh, but I have no interest in Kerry Katona and her car crash life. Yes, she had a rough start, but so have many mums, and she's had more opportunities than most to turn it around.

But as a mum I do care about what happens to her four children, and what I found most disturbing about the secret video footage is the apparent lack of awareness for her kids' well-being. Any parenting expert or doctor will tell you that most accidents in the home occur because children swallow something they shouldn't – pills from a handbag left carelessly on a chair, for example, or household chemicals from an unsecured cupboard-under-the-sink. You don't have to be Mum of the Year (a title Kerry won twice!) to know that leaving toxic substances within easy reach of your children is a recipe for disaster.

12 Responses to So much for Mum of the Year

1. notSupermum says:

No Liz, doesn’t sound harsh at all. As you say, she’s had more chances than most and has just gone from one disastrous situation to another. She needs serious medical help, but I doubt she will seek it out or, if she does, stay with it long enough to have affect. It’s very sad for her children.

2. Angela says:

Your opinion is not a harsh one to hold, but it is a harsh one to put up all over the internet. It’s Kerry’s children who will suffer from this tragedy being peddled in the papers and over the internet. Imagine the bullying your child would suffer if there were pictures and videos of you in such states freely available on the internet, and every Tom, Dick and Harry was passing it around? If people weren’t so cruel as to revel in gossiping about and opining on this when it’s none of their damned business, perhaps her children could retain some privacy and dignity. The News of the World should be ashamed.

3. Liz says:

I take your point Angela – and as I said, I’m not interested in gossip about Kerry. I certainly don’t revel in it – it just makes me cross and sad. However, I do think as mums we have a collective responsibility towards the safety and wellbeing of all children, not just our own. The welfare of children – any children – is everyone’s business, surely?

4. Vicky says:

I actually think it’s good that it’s been brought into the public eye and that she’s lost her contract with Iceland – maybe now she’ll be forced to confront her demons, and that will be the best possible outcome for her kids.

5. Sarah says:

It is so sad it’s come to this because of her children. Kerry unfortunately has been revealed as a liar and an unfit mother, whose prime concern is not her children but herself. I’m sure she does have mental health issues but she cannot shriek her usual defence of ‘being bi-polar’ as an excuse for putting her children in jeopardy. And as for ‘images being peddled’ by the NOW, I think we’re safe in saying Kerry has done her fair share of ‘peddling’ in the media for her own gains. Shame on her, and a shame for her family.

6. sally Chaplin says:

This is the trouble with our celebrity culture. If Kerry had to work the sort of hours the rest of us would to earn the £250,000 that Iceland paid her per year, she’d have no time or spare cash to fund a drugs habit. Easy money can ruin the best of us.

7. Caroline says:

Why on earth hasn’t Brian McFadden got custody of the two of Kerry’s children that are also his?

8. mizzpink says:

I honestly think if Brian McFadden was as concerned about his children as everyone else is he would not be on the opposite side of the world from them, not sure how he can give support to children in such a difficult situation from that far away…the children need help..who is going to give it to them.

9. julie says:

Re: angela’s comment. it may be the children who suffer when images of their mum reportedly drunk or taking drugs appear in the papers and on the internet, but Kerry should have thought about that before allegedly induging in these practices in the first place. Fame comes at a price – and allowing your life to be filmed for the masses means loss of privacy, so dont blame journalists or columnists like Liz for commenting on a situation that is self inflicted.

10. sam says:

Kerry bought into a celebrity lifestyle – that’s media opinion, warts and all – and it is her responsibility, as it is for every other mother (celebrity or otherwise) to protect her children.

11. sharon says:

I’m glad she is finally being brought to task – that Iceland have stopped enabling her addiction with the massive paypacket she earned from them. I agree that it’s about time Brian got the girls but what of her youngest two, with Mark as a dad I really feel for them – who will look out for them?

12. Bev says:

You can’t help but feel for all kids, whether their parents are celebrities or not, who live with parents who have problems with drugs, or indeed any other addictions. Kerry seems to be giving her own kids the life she hated when she was a youngster – she has been given great opportunity but it seems no one to rely on or help her. But whilst everyone has a go at Kerry – and deservedly so – there are two fathers involved here who should be stepping. As is mentioned where is Brian, and what kind of father is Mark turning out to be!!