So, will your kids be having the swine flu vaccine now?

Oct 1 • Featured • 766 Views • 8 Comments on So, will your kids be having the swine flu vaccine now?

If you're feeling nervous about vaccines this week, you're not alone. A new poll by KidStart has revealed that a whopping  50% of British parents plan to refuse the swine flu vaccine for their children or themselves when it is offered.

The survey found that just 28% of parents will accept the vaccine for both themselves and their children, while 15% would have the vaccine themselves and only 7% would give it to their kids without having it themselves.

Clearly, many of you feel that the risks of having the vaccine outweight any potential benefits – and following the tragic death this week of the 14-year-old girl after the cervical cancer jab, it's hardly surprising.

It's also been revealed that 1000 youngsters from six months to 12 years are being recruited across the UK to take part in a swine flu vaccine trial over the next fortnight to see which one works best. I understand the need for testing the vaccine, but being totally honest I wouldn't want my children to take part in such a trial. In fact, I don't think any kids should be exposed to a vaccine unless scientists are 100% sure it's safe.

But my son is asthmatic and therefore in a high risk category. I'm not sure I should really deny him the vaccine when it's offered.

Let me know what you think.

8 Responses to So, will your kids be having the swine flu vaccine now?

1. Sam says:

I think you’re right Liz. From the cases I know of (my sister for one) I think, in general, it’s a big fuss about nothing – unless – you’re in a high risk category, in which case, I would go for the vaccine.

2. singlemamasrock says:

I am generally pro-vaccines – no prob with my daughter having HPV – Cervical cancer a lot worse, no problem with meningitus jabs – I had the disease as a child and was lucky to survive – others in the same hospital died. However I am concerned about the Swine Flu vaccine given the huge side effects of Tamiflu and the fact it has had very little testing – not sure I would want my child as guinea pig either but then neither of my children suffer from asthma or have other health conditions – what I really want os a lot more info about the vaccine before making any decision

3. Sandy Calico says:

As it turns our the poor girl had a tumour, so it wasn’t the HPV that killed her. It’s my understanding of the swine flu vaccine that it will be the usual flu vaccine, but will contain the swine flu strain. The flu vaccine has been used successfully for years so I will definitely be having any jabs that are offered and so will my children.

4. Liz says:

Hi Sandy – yes I saw that. My heart goes out to her family. Still undecided re the swine flu vaccine.

5. Bev says:

I initially thought I would let my children have the swine flu jab but the more I think about it I’m not really sure to be honest. Luckily they have no health worries so am very doubtful about giving them something I’m not sure about – as they say "if in doubt, miss it out"! I’m sure this goes for all vaccines but the bottom line is as a mum you just do your best to protect your children, I’d still go for the HPV jab though as i feel cancer is more serious and I lost my own mother to cancer – but is it though? A very confusing time for all I think.

6. Bobs says:

Wouldn’t it be great if they (medics) could test to see if a person has already been exposed to the swine flu virus. I’ve read so many artciles and watched the tv coverage saying that generally healthy (not high risk group) children in particular have very minor symptoms, so how are we meant to know if they’ve had yet another cold / flu or swine flu. I’d really like to know before I considered giving any vaccine. My feelings are that we should have a full picture and given all our options before making any choice. Choice is definately what we should have as parents all trying to just do our best.

7. LYNSEY says:

NOT SURE ABOUT VAC, HAVING 2 YOUNG CHILDREN AND EXPECTING MY 3RD, IS IT SAFE? DONT THINK ENOUGH TESTS HAVE BEEN DONE! IS IT REALLY WORTH IT??????????????

8. Liz says:

Just found out from my GP this morning that the swine flu vaccine is still not ready (and they don’t know when it will be) but the normal flu vaccine is being given now as usual. When the swine flu vaccine is ready, it will be two separate injections.