Splish splash… why I’ve finally given in to wellies

Jan 25 • Featured, Uncategorized • 698 Views • 12 Comments on Splish splash… why I’ve finally given in to wellies

I'm not sure why I've spent the past 25 years or so refusing to wear wellies. I think it stems from when I was a teenager and 'green wellies' were seen as deeply uncool. Ever since then I've resisted wearing them at every possible opportunity. Great for kids, I thought, but not for grown women who don't drive 4x4s and say 'yah' a lot.

But last week, as I struggled across the muddy rain-soaked quagmire that used to be the common, I was forced to admit defeat. This is largely because my Uggs finally gave up the ghost – they developed a split just above the heel which grew and grew until finally all the suede was split too. *sniff*

So I've done something I never thought I would do. I've just ordered these brilliant mock croc/snake black wellies from Next, and I also love the pink and orange ones and the Kidston-esque strawberry patterned ones too. £20 a pair! Bargain.

12 Responses to Splish splash… why I’ve finally given in to wellies

1. Michelle says:

Very cool. With the weather we have been having, I do not think it will be long before I succomb also! Mich x

2. Lax Parenting says:

Nice wellies! I’ve lived in mine for the last month, get some nice thick welly socks 🙂

3. Heather in Lapland says:

Wellies rule OK? Seriously, I love wellies. just love them. Live in them out here, and some of them are sooo cute these days. although i warn you that the cute ones don’t have the same durability as the standard ones – can tell you from experience, after a few months hard wear they will fall apart.

4. Crystal Jigsaw says:

You rarely see me without wellies if I’m outside! I drive a 4×4 but I’m not a "Yah" girl!! CJ xx

5. Expat Mum says:

When I was at uni we called them the "green wellie brigade"! I must admit I bought some about a month ago and quite like them but they’re not as warm as i need when it gets way below freezing. They’re great for Chicago snow though because there’s so much salt everywhere it ruins everything else. I went for a rather subtle pair – black with a bit of gray and black harris tweed (or something) on them. The little guy has some with black skull heads on. Not really appropriate for a 6 year old but once he’d seen them there was no going back.

6. Its a Mummys Life says:

Oh yes wellies. If only I’d had a pair over the last few weeks. My Uggs are also knackered!

7. Emily O says:

I love my wellies. Quick and easy to put on. They’re green and I drive a 4×4. I don’t say ‘yah’ much though. Not that I’m aware of anyway. Love those strawberry ones.

8. karen@therubbishdiet says:

I love wellies…and when they wear out I plant petunias in them 🙂

9. nappyvalleygirl says:

Wellies are great for the UK mud – they wouldn’t be warm enough here, though. I have been living in lovely shearling-lined snowboots from LL Bean. And I’m afraid I still remember sitting my mock A-levels with my feet freezing in wellies and tights (it was snowing)and the smell of wet rubber…..

10. sam says:

couldn’t do without wellies me!

11. Fredah says:

My uggs have had their time and would love to wear wellies when its wet. But due to big calves (depressing) I cannot find a pair that will fit. Can anyone reccomend a good place to find one that will accomodate me =)

12. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

Fredah – I have big calves too, ssh don’t tell anyone!