This little girl is NOT overweight!

Dec 11 • Featured, Uncategorized • 756 Views • 7 Comments on This little girl is NOT overweight!

Earlier this week my friend Fiona was horrified to receive a letter from her local Primary Care Trust informing her that her four-year-old daughter Isobel had been weighed and measured at school, and she is 'overweight' according to NHS guidelines. 'I felt as though I was a bad parent, as though I'd done something wrong,' she says.

Fiona was so angry that she rang GMTV – you can see her interview with Emma Crosby, and Dr Hilary Jones's verdict here . He makes the important point that BMI shouldn't be the only factor when considering weight.

Izzy is clearly a normal, healthy child (by the way, she's yawning because the TV cameras were there at 5am). She's very active and there isn't an ounce of fat on her.

Of course childhood obesity is a problem in the UK, but the NHS shouldn't be wasting resources targeting those families who don't have a weight issue.

7 Responses to This little girl is NOT overweight!

1. Trish says:

I’m incredulous! As Dr Hilary says, the BMI is not the only measure of obesity. The whole thing has been handled very insensitively by the PCT which is most probably doing it as some kind of Government "initiative" without regard to the fallout.

2. Liz says:

You just know that this is the result of a computer printout and a mail merge. No one has actually *looked* at the child, she’s perfectly normal and there’s nothing wrong with her. They are going to breed a generation with eating problems because you know some mother’s with less sense will get a letter like that and panic, especially if they themselves have food issues. I think it’s awful.

3. TheMadHouse says:

This makes me very, very cross. It seems that today we are either all over weight or underweight. There is many cases of children starving themselves or going on diets because they fear that they are overweight and this episode will do nothing to stop that happening. Mail Merges and computers, should all be looked at the letters pulled that are just on either side. This is a great system to pick up the children that are very overweight or underweight and should not be stopped. This is a great mechanism for the children that are in either ca

4. Mummy Bear (shewasnotatalldomestic) says:

its scary to think what complexes these children can develop. Its hard enough to help girls embrace their bodies and love themselves. Obviously obesity is a health problem that needs to be tackled but with incredible tact and sensitivity, AND when it is relevant. Not here!

5. sam says:

That really is shocking. I remember feeling slightly miffed about receiving one of those letters – not because my son was overweight because he fell under the ‘normal’ category – but because I had no idea he had been weighed in the first place, or that this survey was taking place. I really sympathise with Fiona as I know that I, too, would have been furious. It’s one thing for the authorities to be making moves to combat a real problem – obesity – but a travesty to be making healthy, caring families feel inadequate in some way.

6. Heather says:

I don’t think this is as shocking and terrible as many are making it out to be. The system is flawed and impersonal (do you really want to pay the amount it would cost to make it personal?) but i’m willing to bet it does more good for those poor children that do need help than upsets people with kids a bit over the mark.

7. Vic @ glowstars.net says:

I haven’t seen the GMTV segment (can access it from work) but I bet that letter had no mention on the variables that could be taken into account nor what the diagnosis meant for that little girl (in real terms, probably nothing). I know my boy’s BMI considers him underweight – yet he seems to eat non-stop, throws back all manner of junk food and should most probably be hideously overweight. The key is he doesn’t stop moving. Perhaps instead of focssing on under/overweight issues, the NHS would better spend their resources educating kids on healthy living and exercise.