Top tips to help your kids brush their teeth

Jul 14 • Featured, Uncategorized • 787 Views • 8 Comments on Top tips to help your kids brush their teeth

Yesterday my friend Chris told me about the toothbrushing battles he's been having with his three-year-old. 'It usually ends up with him screaming and laying on the floor and me brushing as best I can,' he sighed.

Having been through similar battles in our house, I totally sympathise. But alarmingly, the last Children's Dental Survey reported that nearly 40% of UK five-year-olds have obvious signs of gum disease and poor oral health, and 57% of eight-year-olds had obvious decay signs.

If you're having trouble persuading your kids to clean their teeth properly, these adorable Flipper brush and bristle guards (£5.99), available from Lakeland and myflipper may help. 'Children respond positively to animal characters and often use toys to develop role play situations for everyday life,' explains Dr Cheryl Lee Butz from London children's dental surgery Toothbeary. 'Tots-eye-view products can help reduce dental fear.'

Here are Dr Butz's top tips to help your child look after their teeth:

• Research shows that if you start methodical and consistent tooth-brushing from early on, you'll face fewer dental problems during your child's pre-teen and adolescent years.
  • Remind yourself that you're in charge and avoid power struggles. Use positive reinforcement, for example tell your child they're doing a super job and you only want to polish up afterwards to ensure all teeth sparkle equally.
  • Routines help settle a child. Offer gentle but persistent reminders that oral hygiene is not negotiable. Over time your child will associate the daily routine with 'clean teeth'.
  • Once the first tooth appears, start using a children's toothpaste with fluoride (a pea-sized amount for children under 6). Use a soft bristle brush.
  • Brush for two minutes twice a day. Place the toothbrush alongside the teeth with the bristles at 45 degree angle to the gum line and gently move the brush in a small circular motion, cleaning one tooth at a time. Don't forget to lightly brush the tongue, too.
  • Keep sugary and acidic foods to mealtimes only.
  • Always supervise brushing until your child is at least 8.

8 Responses to Top tips to help your kids brush their teeth

1. claire waters says:

Great product, a real must have for the bathroom. It will keep every childs brush away from the perils of the plug hole!!

2. Sarah Marley says:

Wow what a fantastic idea! I am having so much trouble getting my daughter to clean her teeth and nothing I do seems to be working! I think I will buy the cute zebra one. Sx

3. sam says:

My two were both born with their grandfather’s iron will (my husband’s side of course!) and to get them both to brush their teeth in the morning – near impossible! I have to coax my youngest (22 months) by taking turns ‘Sadie do, then mummy, OK’ – a million times over. My five year-old was exactly the same at her age – ‘NO! Max do it teeth!!". Trouble with him now is getting him to do it at all – at least now he will open his mouth for at least 10 seconds and let me whizz round. Must try these cool brushes…

4. sally Brockway says:

My son used to clamp his mouth shut as a toddler when I tried to brush his teeth. He’s never liked it and even words of warning from the dentist haven’t helped. He’s now nine and has early signs of gum disease. I’ve tried every novelty brush available. Electric. Disney. You name it, nothing works. Even scary pictures of advanced gum disease on the internet. I have visions of brushing his teeth when he’s 18.

5. Julie Blake says:

I am new to this site but not new to the problem of getting kids to brush their teeth I get mine to sit upside down on the settee head where their feet should be and they love it and you can see in their mouths properly to see if they are clean.

6. Cath says:

I must be really lucky. My little boy did struggle against washing his teeth at first but telling him that he is a big boy (he’s only 8 months but seems to understand) and letting him hold the toothbrush himself (and reminding him that he doesn’t want teeth like daddy!) seem to do the trick. If he plays up again though, I will definately be looking to buy some of these

7. Chris says:

We finally discovered the trick when our son was about 3.5 – a book about brushing your teeth along with STICKERS if you do a good job! After being rewarded with the ‘Teethtastic’ sticker he was a pro and much more comfortable. In the process my 1.5 year old daughter also seems much better than our son at the same age and also wants stickers!

8. landrydenver says:

Perfect tips! I am really impressed with this shared information. Brushing is very important to remain teethes clean and healthy for long time. All your shared tips will best for daily care of teethes. I recommend everyone to follow your shared tips. For best dental care I like Dr.kezian services  http://www.drkezian.com/los-angeles-cosmetic-dentist.php