What do you give for Secret Santa?

Nov 25 • Featured, Uncategorized • 604 Views • 9 Comments on What do you give for Secret Santa?

One of the things I miss about working in a proper office at this time of year (because I'm currently a WAHM – Work At Home Mum) is Secret Santa. In case you've never heard of this tradition, it involves agreeing a sum with your colleagues and then buying gifts to the agreed value for one of them (you draw the names out of a hat, and the idea is no one knows who's giving to who, hence the Secret bit.) The fun is working out who gave you what, and seeing who's been the most imaginative. I still have some gorgeous tree decorations which one of my former colleagues gave me – they're cute little wooden reindeer with ice skates, and every time I look at them I remember what a laugh we had at our Christmas lunch.

Gift specialists Firebox are currently attempting to set a record for the world's biggest Secret Santa event. 19 countries are taking part, it costs £9 for the presents (including shipping) and the idea is you could get something from someone as far away as Alaska or Bhutan while they get yours. You can sign up your whole office… could be interesting!

What's the best thing you've ever been given in a Secret Santa – and the worst? I'd love to know.

9 Responses to What do you give for Secret Santa?

1. Lucy Quick says:

The worst was a hideous plastic tiara which said ‘Princess’ – I couldn’t decide whether someone was being mean about me, or if I was being overly-sensitive. The best? I’m not sure I’ve ever received a good secret santa present… I got a bottle of champagne once – but that was because whoever got me in the secret santa called in sick that day leaving me with no gift. My boss at the time felt guilty and gave me a bottle of champagne – a much better present than the one I was due to receive no doubt!

2. TheMadHouse says:

Sainsburys have a great collection of little goodies for Scret Santa. MadDad has bought a potato gun for his colleague and it was only £5

3. angelsandurchinsblog says:

The worst was definitely eye cream. It was nice eye cream, but no one really wants to feel that they’re wrinkly! The best was a huge bag filled with mistletoe and a lip cream. It came shortly after breaking up with a boyfriend, and made me feel that there might be stuff to look forward to after all!

4. nappyvalleygirl says:

I was once given a really nice pashmina. I was really surprised because the limit for was 5 quid; I actually found out who it was from and it was a BLOKE who said his girlfriend had found it on a market stall! Worst one? A facial scrub – made me wonder if I had really bad skin….

5. Rosie Scribble says:

You will laugh. I have only had a Secret Santa once. I got a Girls Aloud CD, it was exactly what a wanted and I’m not joking. Told you you’d laugh!

6. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

@Rosie Scribble you’re right, did laugh. @nappyvalleygirl Sounds like a bargain!

7. A Modern Mother says:

That sounds really interesting, though shipping must be a big part of the costs! Last year our office (I work part time from home mostly, and it was sweet of them to invite me)… anyway, last year we set the limit at £10, but I think most people went over the limit.

8. sam says:

I hope I don’t offend anybody, but I actually don’t remember any secret santa pressies – apart from one. It was from one of the girls in my NCT group – still not entirely sure who – but it was a very sweet necklace with a drop pearl from Next…

9. Baby Purse Strings says:

A while ago for a work secret santa I was given a hollyoaks hunk calendar. Two weeks into the new year I was told by management to take it down as i could be seen to be sexist….it was a lovely two weeks though!