What’s your favourite children’s poem?

Oct 8 • Featured, Uncategorized • 634 Views • 7 Comments on What’s your favourite children’s poem?

It's National Poetry Day today, which is the perfect excuse to read some poetry with your kids, or encourage them to write some of their own.

My personal favourite children's poem has always been The Owl And The Pussycat by Edward Lear. I can remember having to learn this as a kid and thinking how long it was. But now, as a grown-up, I see it's not actually very long at all. My favourite line is still 'they took some honey, and plenty of money.' What a lovely thought. We also enjoy Spike Milligan in this house (I was lucky enough to meet him when I was small, and he autographed books for both me and my younger sister. When I looked at mine afterwards he'd written 'Stop fighting with your sister' and in hers he'd written 'You will live to be 100'.)

Which poems do you and your children enjoy? I'd love to know. And to help encourage your kids to write some poems of their own, here are two fantastic competitions. The Old Possum Children's Poetry Competition for 7-11-year-olds is judged by Michael Rosen, and 5 to 14-year-olds can enter the Walker Books Children's Poetry Competition. Lots of luck!

7 Responses to What’s your favourite children’s poem?

1. sally says:

Poetry? You must be kidding. My kids hate poetry. I however, still remember Heinrich Hoffman’s Stuwwelpeter, a book of rhymes about naughty kids who mostly all came to a terrible end.

2. Nicola says:

I agree with The Owl and the Pussycat seeming long as a kid! Read it to my two recently and it seemed really short! They weren’t that impressed I have to admit – would much rather have a good story

3. Tattie Weasle says:

Loved Edward Lear esp teh limericks – as I got older they got more risque!

4. Rosie Scribble says:

We’ve got a few kids poetry books and my daughter loves the one about granny sailing out to sea (don’t know the name!) We love all the Hairy McClary books which have brilliant rhymes.

5. Bev says:

You can’t beat a good rhyming story for bedtime reading – we all love them in our house.

6. sam says:

Julia Donaldson’s books – Gruffalo, Room on a broom, Stick Man et al – are the big hits for poetry in our house.

7. yvonne says:

I remember learning "If" by Rudyard Kipling as a child – which I can still recite to this day. I also love ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas" which really evokes memories of the excitement of childhood Christmasses. I agree with Rosie Scribble about the Hairy McClary books which are fantastic and have some great words in them. We should all be attempting to incorporate "bumptious" and "jittery-jot" into our everyday speech.