What’s your favourite Christmas song?

Dec 16 • Featured, Uncategorized • 672 Views • 22 Comments on What’s your favourite Christmas song?

Well as Joe McElderry and Rage Against the Machine battle it out for the Christmas No 1, it occurred to me that neither of them are really Christmas classics – the kind of songs you and your family will want to listen to again and again. We grew up listening to the likes of Jona Lewie's Can You Stop The Cavalry and The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping . Springsteen's Santa Claus is coming to town always makes me feel Christmassy whenever I hear it. Ditto Wham's Last Christmas . Cliff Richard's Mistletoe and Wine and The Frog Chorus do not.

But my absolute favourite Christmas record is E17's Stay Another Day. What's yours?

22 Responses to What’s your favourite Christmas song?

1. Sandy Calico says:

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty Macoll. I love the lines: Her: You took my dreams from me… Him: I kept them with me babe and put them with my own….I built my dreams around you. Lovely.

2. Muummmeeeee! says:

Without a doubt, it’s Fairytale of New York…it has the best lyrics of any song ever written… "You took my dreams from me, when I first found you I kept them with me babe, I put them with my own Can´t make it out alone, I´ve built my dreams around you" Love it! Alternatively, it would have to be the reception class singing "Away in a Manger"…gets me every time!

3. Muummmeeeee! says:

Wow Sandy…great minds and all that! By the time I’d finished flaffing around writing the lyrics and finally submitted the post, I saw yours! Great choice!

4. Sandy Calico says:

@Muummmeeee How spooky is that?! Love Away in a Manger too 🙂

5. Linda says:

Apart from The Pogues ("Happy Christmas, my arse…) and Last Christmas by Wham I always used to love a Xmas album we had when I was little and it had one on it called The Little Boy Who Santa Claus Forgot on it by Nat King Cole, made me weep then and bet it still would now.

6. Manda - Flyingstartmag says:

Too many to choose one… I love them all. E17 is a snuggly xmas song, The Pogues makes me wanna go drink, be merry and sing Karaoke at Xmas time, Happy Christmas Everyone makes me feel all Xmas exited, Boney M takes me back to bein a kid – but I have to say, I love messin around singin with the kids to Proper Crimbo!!! lol

7. Laura C says:

I do like the Christmas songs but I’m glad the only come once a year as they start to bug me! Our fav at the moment is Santa Claus is coming to town! I’ve taught it to Toddler in a hope that he might click on and be good but apart from singing along to it we haven’t made much progress!

8. Emily O says:

I’m not a fan of Mariah Carey, but I do like her All I Want for Christmas is You, it’s very feelgood. Last Christmas is a fave as well, probably because I was 10 when that was out and Wham were the big thing back then. I love The Pogues’ Fairytale of New York because it’s tinged with sadness too and also Bing Crosby’s Dreaming of a White Christmas because his voice was wonderful. Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin’ Stevens is great – possibly desperately uncool? I once came across him miming to it for a TV appearance in a street off Tottenham Court Road.

9. Brit In Bosnia says:

Pogues & Kirsty McColl – everytime (‘I could have been some one … so could anyone…’ genius lyrics)

10. Jayne Howarth says:

I love that Pogues song, but I also love The Waitresses’ Christmas Wrapping, even though it does go on a bit!

11. Liz@Violetposy says:

Fairytale of New York is my utter favourite.

12. sam says:

As a child it was always Bing Crosby – any of his Christmas songs, just loved his voice. Since then, The Pogues have got to be the best, also, this year in particular, my son and I have been singing When A Child is Born for his Christmas play and we love it.

13. @BumblingTweets says:

Got to be Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea. Gives me goosebumps!

14. Vic @ Glowstars.net says:

I’m not a fan of Christmas songs – too many years spent working at Woolies during Christmas. But, if I had to choose anything, it’d be smething by one of the ratpack.

15. Tara@Sticky Fingers says:

Eartha Kitt singing Santa Baby – also my 7 year old son’s fav who does a great interpretation of it even if he doesn’t know what a ‘sable’ is! http://bit.ly/89rMni

16. angelsandurchinsblog says:

‘So This is Christmas’ brings a tear to the eye every time. Partly because I’ve heard it for so long, partly the great tune, and partly because it was the first song I realised had a message. Sob…

17. Tim (aka The Dotterel) says:

Well, as ‘FairyTale of NY’ has already gone (several times) I’m going to choose…. mmmm… how about ‘Alleluja! Freuet euch’ by Alexander Hammerschmidt? (What d’you mean you’ve never heard of it?) Oh, alright – from the sublime to the ridiculous: ‘Wonderful Christmas Time’ by Macca.

18. Sarah says:

None of them, they all drive me crazy! All I need to feel Chrismassy are the Christmas trees all lit up and lots of friends and family… 🙂

19. Mummys Little Monkey says:

It’s not officially Christmas until I’ve dusted off the Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers Christmas CD. Don’t judge me.

20. Yvonne says:

It’s Slade "Merry Christmas Everybody!" for me every time. I’m also a fan of Chris Rea’s "Driving Home for Christmas". I LOVE Christmas songs.

21. pauline wallin says:

Can’t get enough of hearing Bob Dylan’s Must Be Santa. Who would have thought the sixties voice of a generation, Mr Protest and the man who wrote bitter and poignant Blood on the Tracks could come up with such a silly, funny, toe-tapping Christmas hoot.

22. Potty Mummy says:

Anything Christmassy by Frank Sinatra has to be up there, but so does Last Christmas, I’m afraid. Probably something to do with the video (I’m a sucker for a snowy scene)