Where’s your favourite romantic place in the world?

Feb 7 • Featured, Uncategorized • 967 Views • 19 Comments on Where’s your favourite romantic place in the world?

With Valentine's Day less than a week away, the National Trust have put together a list of some of the most romantic places in Britain. They include the beautiful Giant's Causeway and Lyme Park, famous as the setting for that lake scene from Pride and Prejudice.

It's got me thinking about my own favourite romantic places. In Britain I'd probably say St Ives. Further afield – well the beaches of the Caribbean are of course incredibly romantic, ditto California, but Kualoa Ranch in Hawaii, the backdrop for Lost, is one of the most breathtaking places I've been to, and it's no surprise that so many couples choose to get married there. It's simply stunning, particularly at sunset.

My ultimate romantic place though has to be Villa del Balbianello on Lake Como. It was used to great effect in Casino Royale and um.. Star Wars Episode II and it's almost laughably romantic, with idyllic terraces everywhere offering incredible vistas of the Lake.

Where are your favourite romantic places? I'd love to know.

19 Responses to Where’s your favourite romantic place in the world?

1. Karin @ Cafe Bebe says:

Paris is my all-time favourite romantic place in the world. It’s where my husband and I fell in love and spent the most amazing weekend 5 years ago. The Hotel Elysees-Union on Rue Hamelin is the loveliest, quaintest hotel with amazing brekkies and service…no 5 star for us but it’s comfortable and wonderful. There are some lovely cafes on Avenue Kleber where we have had very satisfying and affordable meals. How I wish I could go back soon…maybe this spring. Karin

2. Trish @ Mum's Gone to... says:

Anywhere in Italy is just oozing romance so I would recommend Venice. most little towns around the Lakes and even the capital Rome. My husband and I had a fabulous trip around Tuscany and Umbria in 1995 and, to my delight after a very long wait, came back pregnant! I toyed with the idea of calling my baby Florence but she turned out to be a he and I didn’t think San Gimignano would really cut it in Lincolnshire.

3. Trackback from uberVU – social comments Social comments and analytics for this post

4. Crystal Jigsaw says:

Okay, I’m going for slightly nearer to home, well actually, I am home. I met my husband on the farm and it is by far the place in which my heart will always rest. Next to that, Bamburgh Castle, which is where we got married, and just 2 miles away from the farm. And a joint 2nd has to be Dunkeld in Perthshire, where we spent our honeymoon and have since had some wonderful times together. My husband has never been abroad but the places I have been don’t really fall in the romantic category for me. We’re true home birds! CJ xx

5. Josie says:

Ahh now I am rubbish at this one. I have done very little travelling so can’t wow you with stories of Florence or Barcelona or anywhere else very exciting. Tintagel in Cornwall is somewhere Ant and I have been to over and over again because we love it so much. Breathtaking scenery and lots of little nooks and crannies to cuddle up and watch the dolphins and the waves. I can’t think of anywhere lovelier to be honest. And the Isle of Mull too, in the tiny B&B where we spent our honeymoon wandering coves and forest getting very damp but the happiest and most together I think we have ever felt in our lives. It was perfect. x

6. Victoria says:

I’d say anywhere you can be together and alone with a good view. Except for the awful place we once stayed in with lovely sea views in Norfolk, and an overwhelming odour of dog and dog poo, sometimes booking on the internet is not a good idea. We went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon, which is one of the most stunning places on earth. Wandering along the empty white sand beach with the jungle only metres away and monkeys coming to have an inquisitive look at you was magical. But we’ve also had some lovely romantic walks within a short train ride of Clapham Junction. I think being outside together in beautiful scenery, wherever you are in the world is what matters. You are making memories to keep you going through the tough bits in between.

7. Stella says:

Some of the most romantic places I have been are these: The Maldives – Reethi Rah Resort – utterly stunning and a definite, no news, no shoes, simply divine place. Zimbali Lodge in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa. The most luxurious place ever – and swimming in the infinity pool overlooking the Indian Ocean was a beautiful, surreal experience. I honeymooned there, which makes it extra special for us. Peru – Machu Picchu in particular. Spent the millenium eve there. The Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, is a fantastic, eco-lodge with the best collection of orchids I have ever encountered. But anywhere your hubby pulls a bottle of champers and 2 crystal glasses out of his rucksack at sunset, is THE place to be:-)

8. Vegemitevix says:

Gosh there isn’t a ‘most’ romantic place because I’ve been to a few that are wonderful. In Blighty I would choose – Mt Hellvellan (which I can never spell!) in the Lakes District where my husband dragged me up the mountain and then once at the top proposed to me by placing the diamond engagement ring on the top of the cairn. He even said ‘Would you do me the honour of becoming my wife’. In Europe, Paris where we met and first kissed on the Champs Elysee at midnight was very romantic! In NZ I’d suggest Paihia in the Bay of Islands or Lake Taupo looking over at snowcapped Mts

9. amy says:

I would have to say Paris. When me and hubby went last year it was magical. Sailing on the seine hand in hand and walking around the sights of Paris was so romantic. I loved everything about Paris from its gorgeous views to its fab restaurants. Next in line would have to be the lake district where we spent our 1st wedding anniversary. It sounds cheesy but anywhere seems amazing when it’s just me and hubby 🙂

10. Sam says:

Paris didn’t do much for me – but the maldives…Mmmmm…truly beautiful …

11. Kim Scott says:

For me it has to be Prague in the winter. Walking around hand in hand in the crisp cold weather. I’m also slightly biased as my husband proposed on the Charles Bridge at sunset. Aaaah. x

12. A Modern Mother says:

A picnic on the cliffs overlooking La Jolla Cove (San Diego, Calif). The Four Seasons Manele Bay Hotel (where Bill Gates got married)

13. Kate says:

Praha – spent a year in Czech Republic in my early 20s before it became overrun by tourists and it had a fairy tale quality about it. Czesky Krumlov is also an amazing place and part of UNESCO’s world heritage sites. A proposed to me on the Great Wall so that is definitely up there because I remember the feeling of walking on air afterwards which was magical. Then I guess it would have to be the Galapagos where we spent our honey moon. Perhaps the most special place for us is Patagonia where we spent 3 weeks after A returned from Iraq in one piece in 2004.

14. MUMMYTIPS says:

Phuket Thailand. No more words needed. xx

15. Tim says:

Treen Caves, Porthcurno, Cornwall. No contest. Spent a lovely sun-kissed day there on honeymoon swimming, sunbathing, kissing, just being. Has the advantage of being secluded, and not requiring fussy things like bathing costumes. Has the disadvantage of being reached only by scaling cliffs. I’m looking at a picture of it now.

16. Mags (@mmeeee) says:

The Alameda Botanical Gardens in Gibraltar where we got married – it’s truly magical there!

17. Wendy Mallins says:

ahhh romance… It has to be York, I spent a veeerrrry nice romantic weekend in York with my lovely husband (then fiancee) ooo it was lovely, olde-worldy, lovely… ahhhh young love…. next to that it would have to be Torbay… yes Torbay! BUT that is where I spent my very poor/skint/absolutely no money as just bought our first house and only 22 honeymoon… lovely! Totnes, Blackpool sands, lovely little Cockington twas delightful….

18. New Mummy says:

I have never been taken any where romantic 🙁 I once took OH to Nottingham for his birthday which is 3 days after V Day so we had a Valentines special on the room with choc and bubbly and we just made our selfs very drunks and bit sick. My favourite place in the world is New York

19. 21stcenturymummy says:

My favourite romantic place is a place called Ras Katani in Tanzania. My OH and I went there for a few nights on our honeymoon. We flew in on a tiny little plane onto a sand landing strip. After walking through a bit of jungle to a lagoon, we were then rowed across the lagoon to the resort. On the other side of the beach to the lagoon was the sea. It was beautiful. The accommodation was in straw huts, monkeys would run across the roof tops and there were huge iguanas on the sand. http://www.21stcenturymummy.com