Which mums do you admire?

Sep 13 • Featured, Uncategorized • 788 Views • 9 Comments on Which mums do you admire?

I always remember a male colleague saying that me and a friend must 'admire' Margaret Thatcher for 'everything she'd done for women.' We nearly choked on our lunch.

For me, real heroines tend to be those women who have done something truly exceptional for other women.

So it goes without saying I admire my mum and sister, just as I did my grandmother. I also have great respect for many of my friends, particularly those who have had more than their fair share of challenges. And anyone who has had to struggle against the odds to raise their family.

But there are so many other mums I admire.

Sarah Brown I think is pretty awesome – the way she’s coped with everything life has thrown at her, and she seems to work tirelessly for charity.

Angelina Jolie. Not because she won the heart of Brad Pitt (!), but because of the way she’s used her celebrity for the greater good.

And of course the Blogladesh mums.

What about you? Which mums do you admire, and why? I’d love to know.

9 Responses to Which mums do you admire?

1. Trish @ Mum's Gone to says:

I’m going off the wall here and choosing Marge Simpson. I love that woman: long-suffering wife, protective and adoring mother of her three children – and she manages to keep her hair do immaculate. What’s not to love?

2. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

Actually Trish I do also admire Lois Griffin from Family Guy. I don’t know how anyone could put up with Peter.

3. English Mum says:

Not sure where this originally came from, but I’ve always really admired Gail Porter. I saw an interview with her once and although she could be really overcome with bitterness about losing her hair (something that, let’s face it, is pretty pivotal to how we feel as women), she instilled such positivity in her little girl. It was lovely to witness. I’m a pretty big fan of my own Mum too. She’s always so supportive and I really do regard her as a friend.

4. nappyvalleygirl says:

After watching the tennis this weekend, Kim Clijsters. She retired from tennis to have her daughter, then decided to come back when her child was a year old and has since won the US Open twice in a row. A role model for mums everywhere! I’d also add JK Rowling to the list.

5. Linda says:

I admire any mum who brings up their kids to be caring and hardworking in not the best circumstances, women who may not have partners or the best job in the world, or any job for that matter but have enough love for their kids to feel "rich" in that regard.

6. mummytips says:

Wow – thanks Liz. I have to go with Angelina Jolie too.

7. Deer baby says:

I admire American blogger Stephanie Nielson who writes a blog called The Nie Nie Dialogues. She was writing an ordinary little lifestyle type blog, really as a way of letting family members see what the kids were up to, when she was in a near fatal light airplane crash in Utah. She received burns over 80% of her body. Although she is in constant pain, undergoes tens upon tens of surgeries and her four kids didn’t recognise her at first, especially the youngest, she is the best Mum. She really captures the magic and spirit of motherhood for me despite adversity. She really sees the joy in motherhood.

8. Crystal Jigsaw says:

To be honest, the mum I admire the most in the world is my own because without her, I wouldn’t be here! CJ xx

9. Karen @ If I Could Escape says:

I can’t help but admire Princess Di. The video footage of her boys running in to her arms used to just get me every time. And,my own mum of course. =)