Why all girls should have the HPV jab

Sep 3 • Featured • 738 Views • 6 Comments on Why all girls should have the HPV jab

It's hard to believe that it's nearly six months since Jade Goody died from cervical cancer.

I met and worked with Jade a few times and what always struck me was her utter devotion to her sons. She talked about them constantly, and it was always clear that everything she did was for them. It's an absolute tragedy that those two little boys should be growing up without their mum at their side.

Her legacy, of course, has been to encourage more women to have regular smear tests. But if you're the mum of a daughter aged 12-18,  this September the HPV vaccine is being rolled out across the UK. You can find out more about this here.

Incredibly, though, I know of a few mums who don't want their daughter to have the vaccine, because if they're younger they're not sexually active anyway so they can't see the point, and also because they're concerned about side-effects.

Of course the jab doesn't protect against all types of the virus that cause cervical cancer, and there are mild side-effects (stinging and soreness in the arm), although serious side-effects are rare.

But 3000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer in the UK each year. I can't think of any better reason to sign that permission slip.

6 Responses to Why all girls should have the HPV jab

1. Linda says:

Excellent post, Liz. Not only because of the very important message about the injections but also because of the wise words about Jade. There has been such nasty stuff written about a young mum taken from her family, who like all human beings, was far from perfect. Linda http://www.havealovelytime.com

2. glynis says:

I am really cautious as far as immunisations are concerned. My youngest, now 13, has never had the MMR booster because of a reaction she had as a toddler. But when it came to the HPV jab I had no doubts….as all parents i dont think my daughetr will be sexually active until at leat 25.. But, i dont see any reason for her being protected well in advance. I know she is now safe, of at one nasty illness she could possibly have been at risk of in the future.. The jab doesn’t promote sex, it keeps our "babies" safe for their babies future. =D

3. blueskyhi says:

The HPV jab is nearly finished it’s roll out in Aus and lots of people have refused it for many reasons. The two most common reasons are that it has had very bad side effects for many girls and also that it may discourage young women from having PAP smears which is sole way and most effective way to prevent and protect against cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is an extremely slow growing cancer and if smears are done two yearly routinely it can caught and cured very quickly. I personally thing that HPV jab is yet another money making venture for a pharmaceutical company.

4. Bev says:

I agree with your comment glynis, I’m extremely cautious about vaccines and the safety/effective weigh up; I lost my mum to cervical soI want to keep my ‘baby’ safe so that she is there for her ‘babies’. Anything that can help prevent cancer has to be considered and can only be a good thing. And whatever people may say about Jade, she loved her boys, and was very open about who she was.

5. Tabs says:

as a children’s nurse and Immunisation Provider, I say to mum’s who ask me what’s the point if their daughter isn’t sexually active- that the vaccine is actually MORE EFFECTIVE in those who have not begun to be sexually active because they are the least likely to have been exposed to the HPV viruses. and it doesn’t just protect against developing cervical cancer from these viruses, it can also prevent throat cancer because… well the viruses can end up getting in there… if you partake in ‘certain activities’ lol :p

6. Tabs says:

also- I had a bad reaction to the 2nd out of 3 jabs for the HPV vaccine. My arm ended up swelling up quite large and developing a rather nasty (yet interesting to me as a nurse lol) rash that just kept growing… swelling ended up going into my lymph nodes under my arm and getting infected so went on antibiotics and it cured it all right up. I had no problem with the first one. My doctor was so worried that I wouldn’t come back for my third jab but as I said to him ‘I can either end up with a swollen and rashy arm and a bit of an infection… or I can have cancer… yeah I’ll be coming back!’ and I did and had no reaction other than a tender arm with the 3rd jab