If you struggle to get your kids to eat fruit and vegetables, how about trying to get them to at least fall in love with apples? Apples have lots of health benefits and taste sweet and yummy.
Here are 10 things you and the kids might not know about apples – maybe they will help you convince your offspring to grapple with an apple.
1. Most of the healthy fibre and antioxidants in apples reside in the peel so it is better not to prepare the fruit before hand. Just choose a nice organic variety and get stuck in!
2. Apples are low in calories and contain no saturated fat so they are a wonderful healthy snack.
3. The average person eats 65 apples a year – that’s more than 1 per week folks! Can you match that?
4. Red apples have the antioxidant quercetin in them which has been shown to fortify the immune system when you’re stressed out. So, the next time you’re feeling overwhelmed, try chomping on a Red Gala before reaching for the wine!
5. Because of their high fibre content, apples can help to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome such as bloating and constipation.
6. Research from the National Heart and Lung Institute showed that children who consume apple juice regularly are half as likely to suffer from asthmatic wheezing than children who do not. It may be that the phytochemicals in apples help to calm the inflammation of the airways that is a symptom of asthma.
7. Apples actually contain lots of immune boosting Vitamin C with each apple containing about 14 percent of the daily recommended intake for adults.
8. Keep your apples in the fridge if you want to slow down the speed of ripening. Apples at room temperature ripen five times faster than those that are refrigerated.
9. We owe Isaac Newton’s Law of Gravity to apples. After all, legend has it that Newton had his eureka moment after one fell on his head!
10. The seeds in apples contain small amounts of cyanide so it is not advisable to eat loads of pips. Try growing an apple tree from them instead. The average tree lasts 100 years!
Do you know any other facts about apples?
To buy your apples head to Morrisons where you can get 75p back on your online shop.