Spring time is the perfect time to teach your little one to ride for the first time. To help you along the way we have rounded up some of our top tips for mastering two wheels.
1. Always start with a balance bike
- Balance bikes have no pedals or stabilisers and are much lighter than pedal bikes. On balance bikes children use their feet to balance and propel themselves along. One of the biggest advantages of this method is that children as young as 2 learn to balance on their own without explanation, coaching or unnecessary stress.
2. Start on the flat and work your way up
- The ideal place to ride a balance bike is a park or area with no traffic. Begin on flat terrain and gradually upgrade to small hills.
3. Teach them to use a brake
- Around the age of 2½ to 3 years, children are able to operate a hand brake provided it is gentle enough for their little fingers. Show your child how it works and motivate him/her to practice braking. A good tip is to draw a line on the pavement and challenge the child to stop on it.
4. Always wear a helmet
- Wearing a helmet on a balance bike – as on any other bike – is another must. The sooner your child gets used to it, the better. Shop for a helmet together, and let the little biker express his or her opinion. Make it a treat!
- Bikes like FirstBIKE have handlebars that limit the steering angle, called a “steering limiter,” this helps little ones keep direction and prevents rough falls. Models with sharp edges or extruding screws should also be avoided.
6. Choose a bike with an adjustable seat
- On FirstBIKE balance bikes, children immediately benefit from the security of having their feet on the ground, so it is important that the seat is easily adjustable to their height. When the child sits on the bike, both feet should be firmly planted on the ground – not just the toes – with knees slightly bent. This way, the child is able to properly push off, slow down and stabilise.
7. Get the right safety gear
- Wearing bright colours or a safety vest is recommended, ideally with reflective elements so he or she is readily visible. As for shoes, balance bikes are called “run bikes” in many languages, which means that flip-flops will not do – toes should be covered and ankles fixed.
8. Transfer to a pedal bike when the time is right
- Around the age of 4 or 5 depending on their height and skill – children can smoothly transfer to a pedal bike without ever needing stabilisers. From a balance bike, such as FirstBIKE, children learn how to balance and use a hand brake. The only skill they still need to learn is pedalling, however, at the age of 4 or 5, it is a natural transition.
Why we love FirstBIKE
FirstBIKE balance bikes are specifically designed for children between 2 and 5 years old, and are the perfect bikes to teach your kids how to cycle. Stylish, tough, with a fantastic range of safety features, FirstBIKE is the perfect choice for parents and kids alike.
Balance bikes are the best way to introduce children to cycling, as they develop balance naturally increasing their confidence and ability to ride further, all while having fun and enjoying the great outdoors!
And the best thing about it is that all KidStart members will get an amazing 25% back for their kids on all bikes purchases – just remember to use the code KIDSTART on their site, and we will top up your account.
FirstBIKE’s award winning features include:
- – A high-tech composite frame and Schwalbe air tyres that provide shock-absorption to help protect the child’s spine.
- – A rear drum hand brake for gentle, gradual braking, and a steering limiter that helps the child control the bike and prevent falls.
- – A specially designed horse saddle shaped seat to ensure the child does not slip off.
- – No sharp edges or protruding screws and, and extremely light and easy to carry and transport (only 3.9 kg).
- – Completely weatherproof and super tough, our bikes do not swell, scratch or rust.
- – FirstBIKE Balance Bikes have won a whole host of awards including a Junior Design Award 2015, Practical Pre-School Silver Award 2015, Dad’s Choice Award 2015 and a Little London Award 2015.
FirstBIKEs are available in 9 colours and 3 different tyre types, and come with a lifetime guarantee on frame and fork and 5 year warranty on all other parts. Get them at www.first-bike.co.uk with free delivery, and remember to use the code KIDSTART to get an amazing 25% back!