Should we be panicking about our kids getting swine flu?

Jan 5 • Featured, Uncategorized • 835 Views • 18 Comments on Should we be panicking about our kids getting swine flu?

Yesterday one of my mum friends was ringing round desperately trying to get swine flu jabs for her little girls (aged 10 months and six). ‘I just don’t want them to get sick,’ she told me.

I totally understand her concern. Having experienced swine flu myself, I know how nasty it can be. No 1 Son is getting the vaccine next week but only because he’s asthmatic; otherwise he wouldn’t qualify for it.

At the moment, there seems to be widespread confusion about who should, and who shouldn’t be given the jabs.  Flu levels are increasing in children under five, and yet children who are otherwise healthy don’t qualify for the jab on the NHS. And we’ve been warned that school-age children are at risk as term begins.

But are we panicking unnecessarily? I’d love to know what you think.

*You can see the symptoms of swine flu here.

18 Responses to Should we be panicking about our kids getting swine flu?

1. Kat says:

I haven’t heard of any cases of Swine Flu in my immediate area, but I am still completely freaked out by the idea of my kids getting it. *crosses fingers in hopes they don’t*

2. Hot Cross Mum says:

It is very scary – we didn’t get the vaccine last year and don’t think we will. Part of me thinks it is all very over-hyped, but I can understand the panic if you have a situation where someone has an underlying health condition. Have tagged you over at mine. x

3. Tara says:

My little girl was really ill during the last two weeks of school in December. Her Reception class was decimated with illness (I picked her up one day and there were only about 12 children there from a class of 25!) We all just dealt with it like any illness and they’re all better now. Turns out it could very well have been swine flu (my girl had all those symptoms), but she slept and she drank lots and she got over it. What I think I’m trying to say is, the not knowing was probably better because it meant no panic. Would I want her to get it again? No, it’s not nice to see any child ill.

4. Tattie Weasle says:

My in-laws scared teh death out of me with this talk of swine flu and I am in a bit of a bother about it however I will trust teh school matron to advise as she’s dealt with this kind of thing before. It does not help with all these scary headlines in the press either….I don’y really know what to think or do!

5. A Modern Mother says:

I’m just about to write about this! My middle daughter (7) had swine flu just before xmas. She was in a very bad way and we were very worried. Our GP was worried too, and he checked in on her each day (I love our GP). It lasted two weeks! It was total hell and I wish I had given her the jab before. Yesterday I got jab for the other two girls …. I had to pay for them myself, but I like the idea of giving them that little extra help.

6. Yorkshiremum says:

I feel torn between a rock and a hard place. I certainly don’t want my girls to get the swine flu and last year in Canada the media portrayed it like the end of the world was coming, so panic was high! But I’m also concerned about the lack of testing for the vaccine.. The fact that it is so new.. Are they going to find out in 10 years that it causes defects?

7. Cherished By Me says:

Obviously I don’t want myt children to get swine flu, daughter 12 quite ill at the moment, perhaps she already has it?? Don’t know. I wrote about this last year and to be honest I still don’t feel we are being given enough information about the vaccines and I really am all for vaccinations. Not sure if this will let me but if I can i will leave the link to the post I did nearly a year ago about my views. http://cherishedbyme.com/2010/01/swine-flu-vaccine-yes-or-no/

8. Marie Rigler says:

I am totally absorbed by the swine flu vaccine at the moment. I want my two year old to have it but have been told he is not "at risk". Maybe not but I want him to have it. If myself and my husband pay to have the jab at Boots to protect our child although we are healthy…do you think it will make any difference at all? I am clutching at straws here praying that my precious little boy doesn’t get it and short of locking him indoors until it has gone, I don’t know what else to do. Help????

9. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

Marie it’s my understanding that Boots won’t give the jab to under-5s…

10. Kelly Reeves says:

I was offered it for my lil boy who was 2 last year, and myself coz I was pregnant at the time. I refused it for both of us, due to info I found on the internet!! Apparently the vaccine has only been tested on pigs!! Im not playing human guinea pig and neither is my son!! It contains Squaline, which is reconed to have been given to soldiers during the gulf war, and caused the gulf war syndrome!! The vaccine also contains mercury, which is linked to auto immune system diseases like MS and lupus and arthritus!! So Im glad I rejected the offer!! But my own personal choice!! Hopefully in years to come there wont be too many side effects from this vaccine.

11. Minky says:

I am just saying there are associated risks with everything and you need to balance risk of the illness to the possible side effects of a vaccine. Personally if I were offered it for my children I would take it as they would be at risk. As they are not I am not. Also don’t believe everything you read on the internet!

12. Minks says:

Should add Boots won’t vaccinate under 16s at the moment but that may change

13. Claire says:

The problem with swine flu is that some people have it very mildly (relatively) and some people die from it. And no-one can seem to tell in what way any given person may be affected. If my two were allowed it, I think I would have it – having had swine flu I know how awful I felt, and I wouldn’t wish that on anybody… and I only had it mildly. I am quite wary of vaccines – if possibly I would rather my children built up natural immunity, and I don’t like over-vaccinating (both boys had single MMR, just cos it felt the right thing for me to do at the time) . It seems odd to me that there is lots of hype about how with schools going back, there is about to be a epidemic, but yet the government won’t allow them to be protected. I just donn’t want anyone, let alone children, to die or be severely ill if it can be avoided.

14. Scottish Mum says:

My children haven’t had the vaccine, but I have as a carer for my children. They had flu last year and I don’t know if it was swine flu or not, but then, I decided to ignore the furore surrounding the flu and vaccine and deal with it as it happens, as there was nothing I could do about it. My GP put my mind at rest when I asked about the kids and the vaccine, and if the doctors and nurses are taking it, then I have no problem with it, although I did have some concern about it last year. At the end of January, I may get my kids vaccinated if they are doing under 16s so that we don’t end up with flu on holidays this year.

15. Katty Mum says:

I went to get my 13 month old his regular jabs and got him the swine flu vaccine. My 3 yr old was done at the same time, he had it last year as well and I had it when I was pregnant. I just feel, and its a personal thing, that the risk of the illness is far greater than any side effects from the vaccine. People, children die from swine flu, not from any vaccine or side effects. There was plenty of stock at my doctors too, so I was lucky it seems.

16. Ian says:

Where are all of these people getting their children vaccinated??? I live in South London and the G.P’s only give it to at risk people, and pharmacy’s will NOT vaccinate children at all. I’ve tried everywhere to get my 9 year old and 7 year old vaccinated, but without success.

17. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

Well now our swine flu jab has been cancelled/postponed because they’ve run out of vaccine at our surgery. Fantastic.

18. pete says:

as per ians question, where are all these people getting their kids vaccinated, as my gp refused a prescription for my 2, and asda,boots,morrissons etc dont do under 16’s without it, we even tried to pay and couldnt! its really annoying